The one-stop creative writing toolkit and author's playground from an award-winning writing team. Tools, techniques, skills and insights to unlock your creativity.
Suitable for authors of all levels, Writerly helps you widen, deepen and strengthen your creative range. If a publisher's deadline looms, a novel's on your bucket list, or you're warming up for Nano season, if you need to hone skills for an English exam or simply want to wake up your commuter brain with something more exciting than Sudoku, Writerly will get you playing with ideas and words in exciting ways.
- Warm-up exercises
- Techniques to melt writers' blocks
- Tips, exercises, quests and mini-essays on craft
- Supports both Light and Dark Modes in the latest version of iOS
- Sensory detail module
- Core character development exercises
- Insights into tried and tested techniques that unlock creativity
- Examples from an authors' own notebooks
- Ways into Character (in-app purchase)
- Unique "generators" for Appearance, Mood, Character, and more
- A Year of Prompts (in-app purchase)
- Built-in timer for exercises
- Progress tracker
All content has been extensively tested by professional authors and writing students of every age.
- Fixed several small bugs and cosmetic errors
- Fixed minor typos in various exercises
- Fixed bug on the Settings page that might have caused a crash for some users
- Minor improvements to table layouts to remove blank rows, etc.
- Removed third-party analytics and crash tracking tools
- Re-wrote privacy information to clearly state that Writerly does not use any analytics tools
Ratings and Reviews
Hopeful to see a widget!
This app is great. I use it every day to help me think differently about the world around me and to write more creatively and descriptively. I do wish the “Completed” part would restart every day or something because it’s really satisfying to actually complete the exercises, but having it already say they are completed kind of takes away from that. Not a big deal. I would love to see some widgets in the future, maybe some of the prompts or the exercise to be completed that day. This is a great app!
Exactly what I wanted
This is a lovely app! The exercises are really helpful for me when I’m trying to get myself in the mood to write. My only complaint is that all the prompts are the same, it seems like it’s set up to be a random prompt, but it isn’t. Aside from that it really is a wonderful app that is exactly what I needed! Thank you for all the hard work that you put into this app.
Outstanding pieces of advice for writers
So I actually downloaded this app assuming it was just another app to jot down my thoughts and ideas. But reading through, I’ve come to find it’s full of great pieces of advice and exercises to improve your writing. I’ve tried the very first exercise on the list and I realized this actually works if you apply yourself to it!!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Russell Archer
- 15 MB
- Requires iOS 12.2 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.2 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.2 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 RArcher Software Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- A Year of Prompts $0.99
- Ways into Character $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.