SafeExamBrowser (SEB) is a secure kiosk web browser environment used to carry out e-assessments that run on exam servers. SEB opens a web browser without an address and search bar, loads a pre-configured webpage and locks an iPad (or iPhone or iPod Touch) into a single app kiosk mode. This mode prevents students from switching to other apps, accessing websites and communicating with other students during an exam. SEB enables secure exams on unmanaged iOS devices like students' own iPads as well as on iOS devices owned and managed by an institution. SEB doesn't use a centralized server or cloud service; it can be configured with an API, config files and config links. It can be used with most web-based quiz and e-assessment systems. For improved security and usability, some exam systems provide additional built-in support for SEB. Currently, SEB integrates especially well with learning management systems (LMS) such as Moodle, ILIAS, OpenOLAT and with several non-commercial and commercial exam systems, such as Inspera Assessment, Dugga, Exam.net or EvaExam.
SEB uses one of the single app modes provided by iOS. After an exam is submitted, SEB can automatically end the app self-lock kiosk mode (an exam invigilator could also use a quit password to end the SEB exam session and unlock the device if necessary).
SEB features an optional Dock displaying buttons for various commands. Instead or in addition, a left slider menu shows a list of open browser tabs and commands which can be used to (if enabled in settings) quit an exam session, jump back to the start page of an exam, reload a web page, and navigate back/forward in the browsing history.
SEB for iOS uses the same format for encrypted .seb configuration files as the SEB versions for other platforms. Those config files allow to individually configure SEB to display the start page of an exam system or an exam portal page with a list of links to current exams. If SEB for iOS is installed using a mobile device management (MDM) system, its initial configuration can easily be deployed using the "MDM Managed Configuration" feature. You can also directly start an exam with an individual configuration in SEB for iOS using a special config hyperlink. This link can be opened by examinees from Safari, Mail or a messenger app. In addition, you can use QR codes containing SEB links. An exam can directly be started in SEB by using the iOS Camera app or the built-in QR code scanner.
SEB also works together with Apple Classroom, teachers can start individually configured exams on all student devices. See https://safeexambrowser.org/ios for more information.
SafeExamBrowser for iOS was developed by Daniel R. Schneider, ETH Zurich, Educational Development and Technology (LET), based on the original idea of Safe Exam Browser by Stefan Schneider, University of Giessen
Project concept: Thomas Piendl, Daniel R. Schneider, Damian Büchel, Andreas Hefti, Dirk Bauer, Michael Kern, Kai Reuter, Tobias Halbherr, Karsten Burger, Marco Lehre, Brigitte Schmucki, Oliver Rahs.
Safe Exam Browser is released as freeware. The code is subject to the Mozilla Public License Version 1.1 (the "License"); you may only use these files in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/ .
Important parts of this project have been carried out as part of the program "AAA/SWITCH – e-Infrastructure for e-Science" led by SWITCH, the Swiss National Research and Education Network and the cooperative project "Learning Infrastructure" (part of the CRUS program "Information scientifique: accès, traitement et sauvegarde") coordinated by SWITCH, and was supported by funds from the ETH Board and the State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation (SERI).
• SEB 3.0.1 runs by default on iOS/iPadOS 15
• Fixed that a custom user agent and suffix wasn't updated when reconfiguring SEB.
New in SEB 3.0
• Support for the modern WebKit browser engine, which increases performance, stability and compatibility with web applications.
• Access to camera/microphone via WebRTC on iOS 14.3 or newer.
• SEB 3.0 for iOS can now also be started with seb(s) links to servers requiring authentication (including Basic Auth).
• With the SEB integration in Moodle 3.9 or newer, you can now use the "Launch Safe Exam Browser" button to open the quiz in SEB for iOS.
• Live remote proctoring using the free, open source video conferencing solution Jitsi Meet (https://jitsi.org/jitsi-meet/). You can use any Jitsi Meet server to test this feature, for example https://meet.jit.si (or install your own Jitsi Meet server).
• AI (machine learning) supported proctoring detects if candidates disappear from the camera view or if other faces show up. Also suspicious face movements are detected and displayed with warning symbols in the video stream. The face tracking features work on-device and respect privacy.
• SEB Server (see https://github.com/SafeExamBrowser/seb-server). In the web backend of SEB Server, an administrator can import exam metadata from a learning management system (LMS) and create SEB Server exams. The list of current exams is then displayed on the SEB clients connected to this SEB Server instance.
• Both Jitsi remote proctoring and SEB Server require examination administrators to set up their own server instances (or use external service providers) and configure SEB clients to connect to those servers. SEB doesn't use any centralized server instances and the according features are by default disabled.
• Fix for "Back to Safari" button/link function in visible Status Bar on iOS 14 before 14.5 in AAC kiosk mode.
• SEB doesn't show context menu on phone numbers detected by the web view anymore.
Der Entwickler, ETH Zurich, hat darauf hingewiesen, dass die Datenschutzrichtlinien der App den unten stehenden Umgang mit Daten einschließen können. Weitere Informationen findest du in den Datenschutzrichtlinien des Entwicklers.
Keine Daten erfasst
Der Entwickler erfasst keine Daten von dieser App.
Die Datenschutzpraktiken können zum Beispiel je nach den von dir verwendeten Funktionen oder deinem Alter variieren. Weitere Infos
- ETH Zurich
- 57,8 MB
- Erfordert iOS 11.0 oder neuer.
- Erfordert iPadOS 11.0 oder neuer.
- iPod touch
- Erfordert iOS 11.0 oder neuer.
- © 2021 ETH Zürich
Wenn die Familienfreigabe aktiviert ist, können bis zu sechs Familienmitglieder diese App verwenden.