Brushes Redux is a painting app designed exclusively for iOS. Rewritten from the ground up, Brushes Redux is universal — the same version runs on both your iPhone and your iPad. Move paintings between your devices and keep working wherever you go.
An accelerated OpenGL-based painting engine makes painting smooth and responsive — even with huge brush sizes. Brushes also records every step in your painting. Show off your creative process by replaying your paintings directly on your device.
– Create paintings with dimensions up to 4096x4096
– Full support for all Retina devices
– Background autosave
– Unlimited undo and redo
– Simple and approachable interface
– Full screen painting
– Record and replay paintings
– Ultrafast OpenGL-based painting engine
– Huge brush sizes up to 512x512 pixels
– Simulated pressure
– 64-bit painting on the latest hardware
– 14 parameterized brush shapes
– Adjustable brush settings (spacing, jitter, scatter, etc.)
– Adjustable color opacity
– Invert color and desaturate
– Flip and arbitrarily transform layers
– Adjustable color balance (iPad only)
– Adjustable hue, saturation and brightness (iPad only)
– Create up to 10 layers
– Lock and hide layers
– Lock layer transparency
– Adjust layer opacity
– Duplicate, rearrange, and merge layers
– Change blending modes: normal, multiply, screen, exclude
Import and Export:
– Integrated with Dropbox
– Import native Brushes 3 files, JPEG, and PNG files
– Export as native Brushes 3 files, JPEG, PNG, and Photoshop files (with layers)
– Place images from your photo album into paintings
– Copy paintings to the pasteboard
– Zoom with two finger pinch
– Zoom in with two finger double tap
– Zoom to fit with two finger double tap
– Toggle interface visibility with a single tap (this can be changed to a two finger tap in the app settings)
– Tap and hold to access eyedropper tool
Screenshot credit: "Portrait of Ally" by John Bavaro (http://johnbavaro.com)
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
- The black artifacts are finally gone thanks to Patrice Kouame (SpiraMira)
- iPad Pro support
- Apple Pencil experimental support
- Better export support, which means you can now AirDrop, export to other apps directly from Brushes
- Import of editable Brushes files. Now you can open painting via AirDrop, from e-mails and continue working on the painting
- Enabled iTunes File Sharing to be able to access your paintings from a computer
Ratings and Reviews
No longer supports Dropbox
A wonderful app I say, I use it for absolutely every drawing need, all features work nicely, my biggest issues though are the limit on layers is only 10, I need way more layers sadly. My biggest problem is that I always used to transfer my drawings to other devices to continue drawing with Dropbox, but Dropbox has retired it's old platform and this app hasn't acknowledged that, so Dropbox no longer supports it and I can't transfer files anymore.
As an artist I love Brushes Redux. It's the most accessible well designed painting/drawing app there is. I've tried them all. Others have either woeful brushes, are too complicated and time consuming to work with or they keep adding unnecessary 'features'.
The only set back for me with Brushes is the pixelation or heavy zig-zagging on the square brush setting when you want to make tight curves or circular marks. I've tried all sorts of brush combinations to fix this, but to no avail. I also wish there was some sort of support to answer these types of problems.
Overall though it's the best and most fun though.
If David Hockney uses this then it must be good!
Am I the only person?
It might be just me but, my paintings don’t load anymore when I want to watch or edit them😢 I deleted then uploaded the app but it still doesn’t work.
The developer, Christoffer Hoel, indicated that the app’s privacy practices may include handling of data as described below.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- User Content
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Christoffer Hoel
- 16 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Steve Sprang (Christoffer Hoel)