Butterflies Australia 4+
Designed for iPhone
This innovative butterfly app provides everything you need to get out and watch butterflies. The field guide provides the basics on how to look for and identify each species of butterfly found in Australia, and where available it contains photos of all the different forms and life history stages of each species. The data submission facility lets you send your butterfly sightings to an expert panel for verification, where they will contribute to research and conservation on butterflies.
ABOUT BUTTERFLIES AUSTRALIA
We are the first national Australian citizen science project working on butterflies. By collecting your sightings, we will be able to build the first ever data-driven range maps for species, as well as being able to work on threatened species assessments and planning for conservation actions to benefit species that are in trouble. There is so much still to learn about butterflies, you might be the person to make the next big discovery!
- Offline field guide with information on how to look for and identify each species of butterfly in Australia.
- Offline range maps for every species, including data points for where the species has been seen by other users.
- Photographs of adults, eggs, larvae, and pupae for many species.
- Data submission for incidental sightings.
- Data submission for a variety of survey types – point counts, linear transects, and area counts.
- Access to news and how-to guides on looking for butterflies.
Minor performance updates
Ratings and Reviews
Too complex - not user friendly
A great idea ANU team - but the interface is neither easy nor intuitive to use. Awful! The fact I had to struggle through a user guide to make sense of this app says it all. I have a PHD and have worked online and used apps for over a decade... A pity, as this will put off all but the most determined users.
Difficult to use
It’s a great idea for a app and I’m happy to identify butterflies when I see them. But if you want people to actually use the app for identifying possibly endangered butterflies I’d suggest an option for taking a photo to upload. Because many children and people with little to no knowledge of different species can’t recognise them and won’t because of the long list you have in the field guide. Perhaps even adding a option to search by colour or size might make it more interesting to use.
Brilliant. Informative AND citizen science.
Hi, congratulations this is a great app which has been needed for a long time. And I love the citizen science aspect.
I hope this app takes off and I will encourage as many likeminded people as I can to download and use this.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- 171.1 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © Geometry Pty Ltd 2019