we're bringing back 6-second looping videos and the community that loved them.
you know the drill: upload from your camera roll or use the byte camera to capture stuff. stay under the time limit and get lost in the loop. explore what's loved by the community, handpicked by our human editors, or just served up at random. there are lots of ways to discover surprising new personalities, voices, and moments.
byte celebrates life, community, and pure creativity.
nostalgia is our starting point, but where we go next is up to you. to add your perspective, join our forum (community.byte.co) or leave a review and let us know what you'd like to see. everyone says it, but we really mean it: we read *everything*.
floaties allow you to add floating text or photos to the world w/ the rear camera, or make them float above your head w/ the selfie camera.
- floaties work best in well lit areas with some definition (e.g. not a blank wall)
- w/ rear facing camera, you can select a floatie after you've placed it and pinch to scale it, or delete it
- w/ selfie camera, you can move a floatie by dragging it, or pinch to scale it
- an optional grid view on profiles!
- bug fixes and small improvements
*please note that floaties currently only work on newer devices. we're working on compatibility with more devices :)
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Good app, but need more!
Right now, Byte is basically exactly what Vine was when it died. This is great! But more features are expected now. Some people are saying they want longer videos, and while I agree, I understand that kind of defeats the point. The features I want are mainly more features for recording videos in the app. The only way to record is just a normal camera. Please add some filters, like the ones that Instagram and TikTok have, as they add a lot of creative potential, and people are already porting videos from those services, just to use those filters.
Also, I have heard that there are/were porn accounts at one point. If you have a better filter now, great! Otherwise I suggest to do that. Also do something about the people going “follow 4 follow” in the comments, as it is very annoying to see a new comment, get excited, and then realise it’s a person trying to get followers from you.
in all honesty...
yes, the app is stylish and undoubtedly an improvement from vine’s UI, though vine happened ages ago and we’ve moved on. reflecting upon vines we cherish so dearly suffices, vine 2.0 was the update we neither wanted nor desired. i’m sure i can speak on behalf of most people when i say that tiktok is generally the platform to use now and that byte is for the people who don’t find too much joy in the new-ish sensation that is tiktok. personally, byte feels like it’s trying to hold on to its decently admirable past and shove itself back into today’s society after years of nothing. to reiterate, we’ve moved on.
to the team who developed this app— what you’ve managed to craft is spectacular! the concept, however, has without a doubt aged, meaning less people are interested. vine was great at the time but you can’t bring back something that is long dead.
before i conclude this, i must mention that i do understand that you’re trying to reinvent vine and almost reincarnate it, i just feel like it’s a desperate cash grab due to vine’s popularity. if byte is going to work at all as a platform it will need to be different to vine and tiktok— it must have a feature that they lack(ed).
hope this helps someone!
edit: it desperately needs a private profile option. this should go without saying.
A few improvements required
I don’t usually review apps, but this one is like to see become real competition to TikTok. I have seen a few mistakes and things missing from Byte. I understand it’s in its early stages.
I recommend in the latest update the following occurs:
1. In your weird category you spelled Weird “Wierd” that needs to be fix. Yes this one is minor but still needs fixing.
2. We need filters from how the original Vine was like plus more filters like TikTok and Snapchat as.
3. We also need more special effects so we can do wonders for our creative videos.
4. We need a timer record button as well so we don’t have to hold the button down to do our creativity. But keep the start pause feature as well.
5. Lastly to be able to save any video to your camera roll, this is a must.
6. Unfortunately videos during loops aren’t always in sync, which makes it very weird and definitely needs fixing.
Those are the 6 points I’d like to see fixed and debuted with the next update.
Apart from that Byte is fantastic and hope it’s alive and well for the very very very long haul.
- Byte Inc.
- 55 MB
- Social Networking
Requires iOS 11.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Frequent/Intense Profanity or Crude Humour
- Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2020 Byte Inc.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.