Instantly rent cars, vans and utes on your block! Neighbour to neighbour car sharing.
With nearly 3000 rental cars across Australia, it's easy to find the perfect car for your next trip. We’re like Airbnb for cars!
Prices start from just $5 an hour or $25 a day plus distance charges.
- Instant access: unlock the car with the app or pick up the keys from your neighbour
- No monthly fee: it’s free to join, with no subscription fees; pay only when you need a car
- Nearly 3,000 share cars across Australia: It's easy to find cars near you
- Insurance included: all trips include comprehensive cover and 24/7 roadside assistance
- Free cancellation: cancel for free up to 48 hours before your trip
- 24/7 support: our friendly team are on hand to help with any issues
- Free carbon offsetting: we offset every kilometre you drive by planting trees with Greenfleet
Are you a car owner? Rent out your car when you aren't using it and offset the costs of ownership. Established cars can earn between $3000 and $10,000 a year. Easily manage your car with the app:
- Manage your car’s availability and block it out for the times you need it
- View details of your car’s past, current and upcoming bookings
- Create and edit your car’s profile and parking instructions
- Fixed issue where cancelling a booking didn't appear to work (even though it had)
- Updates for vehicles that lock/unlock via Bluetooth
- Fixed text in verification steps that was partially off-screen
- Lots of minor fixes and background updates
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Trouble with my latest booking.
App has worked well in the past - have booked at least 5 cars previously. This last booking was problematic. Everything from return photos refusing to upload and then the email option not working as well, to the booking system making to look like the car was not available even though it was. Very hard to change your email address - need to wait in an inordinately long phone cue and then no one returned the call. Still trying to do so.
On top of that, the car we got was quite dirty inside - I think it had had a rental that morning - but at least 5 hrs prior. The previous renters hadn’t even locked there lock box - it just opened! Then the vehicle didn’t handle the torrential rain well / slipped every time I took off from lights. All in all, a frustrating experience - not what we’d previously had . The app and website issues were the most frustrating though. Normally great - what’s going on?
Developer Response ,
I'm really sorry to hear about the trouble you've experienced with your last booking. If you haven't already reported this to us, please do so by emailing email@example.com.
Poor customer experience & higher prices
I’ve been a big fan of carnextdoor for 2 years now but recently realized they’re keep increasing their prices and more importantly, the customer service polices are quite ridiculous.
I borrowed a car that was old (and yet I’m paying the same amount as a new suv) and the battery died as soon as I got to a location and parked the car. When the roadside assistance came, they said the battery was 6-7 years old and long overdue for change.
I called them throughout the whole process and their representative was generally nice and apologetic that I had to waste so much time. He then mentioned that I’d get a credit to compensate for my bad experience and the time wasted to do the job of the owner. All good till here.
A couple of weeks later when I followed up, I get a barrage of rude emails saying that because the battery happened during my trip it was my responsibility and rejecting my claim that this was due to negligence or that they colleague had explicitly told me what to do. They kept asking me to bring proof or report which was really frustrating. They wasted my time with both their car and poor business sense and lost a loyal customer indeed.
Nifty and easy to book a car
Nifty and easy to book a car. I've borrowed cars at least 4 times from Car Next Door. It is a really nifty and hasslefree way to rent a car.
The app navigation itself it pretty easy. I specifically liked the extend the car feature that let me extend my rental by about 15 min along with all the instructions on the whats and hows in the mobile app.
I also liked the system used to generate the lock because it was easy to locate and use and seemed fairly secure. The cleanliness of the cars vary but, have been mostly good. Customer service has been pretty good in all my interactions.
The only reason for the 4 star and not 5 is because I can't read or write reviews on the mobile app, since this feature is only available on the website. Reviews are really important for me to figure out which cars I'd want to borrow based on the reviews.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Usage Data
- Other Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Car Next Door Australia Pty Ltd
- 152.3 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires a Mac with Apple M1 chip and macOS 11.0 or later.
English, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2018 Car Next Door Australia Pty Ltd
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.