Collins English Dictionary includes the latest vocabulary - definitions, examples, idioms and usage notes are all based on the Collins Corpus, an unrivalled and constantly updated 2.5 billion word database of today's English, turning it into an authoritative and up-to-the-minute reference source.
With over 500, 000 English words and examples, Collins English Dictionary is a rich source of reference, recommended for: students of 12+ years, general business users, language lovers and crossword buffs.
* Straightforward and precise definitions of over 500,000 words, references and examples
* Cultural notes on life and language and 6,000 biographical entries
* Thousands of etymologies trace the roots of modern English
* Key expressions, example sentences and usage notes illustrate how words are used and show typical constructions and collocations
* Clear and intuitive design with quick and easy navigation contribute towards unique user experience
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – The colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - With new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches, you can get to the desired entry faster than ever.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.
Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry when you don’t know how a word is spelled.
Looking for a specific word but don't know how it's spelled? We've got you covered with our automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you freedom to structure your studies, the dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized, including:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
• Four new colorful themes.
• Delete and sort entries with Favorites/Recent list.
• General bug fixes and improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Expensive but worth it
This is a comprehensive no-nonsense dictionary for the native English speaker. The full text of the 2006 Collins dictionary - bigger than the Concise Oxford, including variations from around the world (lots of Aussie idioms) and word origins. With the ms dict viewer you can jump to another word in the definition just by touching it and there's also a search history. Unlike the hardcopy there are no usage notes. No probs with loading as the file isn't bloated by sounds or unnecessary features. I'd give 5 stars if the price were lower and if they used the new 9th edition (2007) - but the hard copy costs about $90.
Always works unlike some that fail with the introduction of new iOS. A great simple app.
Really good and easy to use "English" dictionary.
Very useful and intuitive
- MobiSystems, Inc.
- 99 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2018 MobiSystems, Inc.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.