DianHua Dictionary is a Chinese English dictionary and Study Tool for iOS.
DianHua Dictionary is a Chinese English dictionary for iOS. Using data from the CC-CEDICT project, DianHua Dictionary provides search support for English, Mandarin Pinyin (with or without tones), Traditional Characters, Simplified Characters, and mixed searches consisting of any combination of the above.
Other features of DianHua Dictionary include:
- Search History: All search terms entered into the Search field are stored in your Search History. Touch any term in the list to see the results.
- Bookmarks: Arrange all of the words you are studying into a nested hierarchy of Folders.
- Writing Practice: Under the Study tab, you can practice typing or writing characters using any of the iPhone's Simplified or Traditional keyboards, including the character drawing keyboards. Choose whether you want to see Pinyin and/or English for the prompt and draw or type the appropriate Chinese character into the box provided.
- Flashcards: Select any combination of Traditional, Simplified, English, and Pinyin for the Front and Back of the cards and grade your confidence in your answer. If you choose to use the Difficulty sorting algorithm, more difficult words will be shown more often than words you tend to answer correctly.
- Numbers: Convert numeric entries to Simplified and/or Traditional variants including their Banking equivalents. Touch the audio icon to hear arbitrary numbers spoken.
- DianHuaDictionary.com: Search from your browser, sync between multiple devices, export, and import data.
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
iOS 11 compatibility
Ratings and Reviews
I rely on this excellent app daily, however the latest version crashes constantly on start up, and when it does rarely run, searches hang and reveal nothing. Please fix! iPhone 4S, latest iOS.
Perfect, and could be perfecter...
DianHua has so many good features that other English-Chinese dictionaries don't, like the audio module, handwriting practice, history and bookmarks. And it works smoothly. But the ZHDict Chinese English Dictionary has as-you-type searching which is extremely handy. That's the only reason I still have both on my iPod. If DianHua added this feature it would be OMGSFAOMG!!!1. As it is, it's about OMGFA!!! and I still can't believe it's free, so I bought the audio module...
Useful but not quite there yet
Obviously the app can only be as good as the underlying data. Many terms in this dictionary are not used anymore today. It would be nice if the data would have that info, so the app is actually not to blame.
In its current version the labels for traditional and simplified characters are swapped. Something for a bug fix. The search speed is not yet perfect either.
3 stars for the app because it's free and still usable if you're looking for that particular term but know what you're looking for.
The developer, JSQ, LLC, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Jason Koeninger
- 123.9 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires a Mac with Apple M1 chip and macOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © 2009-2017 JSQ, LLC
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.