Dictionary.com’s Pro app now includes ALL of our content and Upgrades (over 3,400,000 fun and helpful entries) for just one low price. It’s also ad-free!
Download the essential and most comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPhone – with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms, the Dictionary.com app is designed and optimized for your mobile device.
Works offline! Install the free offline dictionary for access to definitions whenever you need them.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice search – find the definitions you’re looking for anywhere, anytime
- Content Collections Carousel includes Word Trends, Grammar Tips, Slideshows, and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills (are you prepping for the SAT?) with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Word origin and history - discover etymology on even the strangest words
- Favorite words and search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English Spelling help - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local look-ups - take a look at the words searched by location
- Learner’s Dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
- Optimized for Apple Watch!
Legible is an adjective that means “easily readable.” You can use it to describe the new and improved Word of the Day!
Ratings and Reviews
I used to like this app but after recent updates it has become incredibly annoying to use. I scroll down to read the definitions of a word and the top part of the page suddenly expands to hide half the information. Sure I scroll up again and the information fills the screen again, but you can't just scroll up, you have to scroll down to read what's there. So you're forced to read in a tiny gap where you can only see a few lines of text at once.
Please do away with this ridiculous animation effect and restore usability. Thank you.
Added Dec 2018: Updated to latest version but horrible UI hasn't been fixed. App obviously not meant to be used on older iPhones.
Problem #2: the stories and articles are in the smallest possible font, and in light grey. I literally cannot read them. Zooming in makes the type bigger but also makes the lines too long for the screen so I have to continually pan left & right.
This app is just too annoying with no consideration given to a pleasant user experience. I give up, looking for another dictionary.
Developer Response ,
I would like to hear more about your current issue with the app. Please contact me at email@example.com.
I am content knowing that I got my moneys worth purchasing the full edition. Offline use and the learners edition are convenient features of this application as they allow you to expand your vocabulary anytime and anywhere. Highly recommended for purchase of the full edition.
Better than other well known publishers
Bought this after much frustration with the Oxford concise dictionary and thesaurus. This app does the job much better and left me wishing I’d purchased it in the first instance.
- Dictionary.com, LLC
- 134.8 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Dictionary.com, LLC 2017
- In-App Purchases
- Encyclopedia upgrade Free
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade Free
- Translator Upgrade Free
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.