NOTE: It is recommended you first look at the newer version Filterstorm Neue.
"It's the closest you'll get to Aperture or Lightroom on your iPhone" - Wired Magazine
Filterstorm has been designed from the ground up to meet your iPad and iPhone photo editing needs. Using a uniquely crafted touch interface, Filterstorm allows for more intuitive editing than its desktop counterparts with a toolset designed for serious photography. A favorite of Photojournalists, Filterstorm is at home in a professional workflow, or for anyone who simply wants to get the most out of their pictures while on the road.
Filterstorm contains a suite of powerful tools including layers, curves manipulation, color correction abilities, noise reduction, sharpening, vignetting, and black and white conversion fine-tuning. It also includes the powerful ability to adjust masks by brush, color range, gradient, and vignettes.
Tutorial videos are available at http://filterstorm.com and are linked to from within the app.
• Layers (Max 5 at a time. When a 6th is added, the bottom two layers will be automatically merged)
• Ability to apply adjustments to entire image, by brush, gradient, color range, vignette, or selecting opacity.
• Send images via FTP and SFTP as well as standard export options
• Export high-res images.
• Save edits as automations to apply to other images
• Edit masks with brushes (adjustable size, softness, and opacity)
• Edit masks with gradients
• Edit masks by color selection
• Edit masks by vignette
• Combine multiple images using layers and masks
• Curves: Luminance, RGB, Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow
• Levels tool: Luminance, RGB, Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow
• Color balance
• White point picker
• Text tool
• Black and white fine-tuning
• Image editing History
• Cropping, with the ability to specify aspect ratio
• Scaling/Scale to Fit
• Rotation & Image Straightening
• Add Borders
• Combine multiple exposures
• Vignetting (circular, or oval scaled to image aspect ratio)
• Tone map (Simulated HDR)
• Noise reduction
• Add noise
• Clone Tool
• Numerous layer blend modes
• EXIF support for JPEG and some RAWs
• IPTC support: For a full list of supported metadata tags, visit Filterstorm's website at http://filterstorm.com
Recommended by "Rough Guide to the iPad"
"Filterstorm was designed for the iPad from the beginning, and is a study in limitation and excellence." - App Craver
"While Filterstorm certainly won’t replace your image-optimization workflow on your desktop computer, it can prove useful (and fun) enough that you will want to put it to use for quick adjustments to fine-tune an image you want to share via your iPad. " - Digital Photo Pro
• Classic Filterstorm Returns! Filterstorm Classic will be in active development alongside Filterstorm Neue.
• Updated Interface Appearance (behavior remains the same)
• Adds Clarity/Vibrance Filter
• Export function now uses standard system saving dialogue (you can send to twitter/facebook, etc. this way)
• Updates FTP/SFTP support
• Removes old Facebook/Twitter/Flickr APIs
• Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Brilliant Photo Editing on the iPad
Normally I couldn't be bothered writing reviews but this is by far the best photo editing app out there. Have tried others and this one is definately the easiest to use. It has so many features that the others are lacking. The new look and feel is very natural and easy to get used to. I don't use the computer anymore for my touchups as I can do them from my iPad. One other good thing - the developer has a twitter feed and is very active and responsive - good sign of an app that will be supported into the future!
Cool filters, generous upgrades, UI clunky in places
I'd love to rate this app 5 stars. It's so friendly in so many ways! Definite recommend as an addition to the art/photo editing toolset.
It has a great range (many, and all kinds), and some truly awesome filters/effects - guaranteed there'll be something for every taste & every photo. The quick & easy previews are fantastic. Lots of great editing apps there with previewing either absent or very clumsy/slow.
The devs are very generous, too, with the 'updates' - i don't think I've paid for any of the (many) upgrades & additions. If i have it was minimal. What's more, many of these free sets of filter/effects are sold in other apps on their own. EG (either free or 99c as part of a truckload of different sets) there's a set of Bokeh effects.. I have seen a couple of Bokeh apps which cost more and offer only those few Bokeh effects.
The only problems for me are the clunkiness of the initial stages of set-up and then the constant re-downloading of filters (how come?) which (to my non-technical mind) seem to slow things down unnecessarily.
I hope future upgrades sort this one in-friendly aspect of a great app. Thanks devs for the fantastic filters and the friendly 'feel' of this app!
This is one of a select number of apps (Scrabble anyone?) that deserves a six star rating. Being a long time Photoshop user I was dubious about photo apps on IPad. While impressed by Photogene I was knocked out by this one. The mask facility is brilliant as is the clone tool. I was wondering about the absence of a highlights/shadow tool but soon realized that the oombination of curves and masks does the same job but better. Well done to everyone concerned.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.