Packaged foods can be surprisingly high in salt, saturated fat, added sugar and kilojoules/calories. FoodSwitch has a database of packaged foods to help you identify those that are better for you.
In three simple steps, FoodSwitch can help you towards better health by reducing the salt, fat and sugar in your diet:
1. Scan barcodes of packaged foods with your camera;
2. See simple nutrition information on the food you’ve scanned;
3. See similar foods that are healthier based on established nutrition criteria.
4. Identify Vegetarian products easily.
5. Compare up to 10 similar products at a time
FoodSwitch comes with handy filters to suit different health needs:
- FoodSwitch Classic is for anyone looking to make generally healthier food choices.
- SaltSwitch has been designed to help people lower their salt intake and is great for people with, or being treated for, high blood pressure.
- GlutenSwitch is great for people with coeliac disease or gluten intolerance who are looking for gluten-free products.
- FatSwitch has been designed to help people with, or being treated for, high cholesterol
- EnergySwitch can help people choose foods lower in kilojoules/calories
- SugarSwitch helps people choose healthier foods with less total sugar
- You can view the nutrition information in two modes:
1. Health Star Ratings – shows the overall healthiness of a product from 0.5 to 5 stars; the higher the star rating, the healthier the food.
2. Traffic Light Labels – if a product is low (green), medium (amber) or high (red) for salt, sugar, fat and saturated fat;
- Save your healthy favourites on personalised lists.
- Help us track the food supply by sending us pictures of new foods.
Download the app today and find out for yourself why respected health organisations around the world like FoodSwitch!
FoodSwitch is owned and operated by The George Institute for Global Health and was first developed to help Australians make healthier food choices.
For more information about FoodSwitch and answers to commonly asked questions, visit https://www.georgeinstitute.org/projects/foodswitch. You can also follow us on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FoodSwitch/
Please don't forget to rate our app on the Store. Your feedback is important to us and will help us to make improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
It’s so handy to have an app that compares key nutrient Iona limits content quickly and easily and provides an alternative.
However, I would love to see consistency in the serve sixes (I saw another reviewer didn’t like the 100g but personally I much prefer because comparing 16g vs 100g I’m only going on your traffic light system)
Another great addition I’d love to see one day is a photo of the label when I click the alternative so I know what I’m looking for!
Developer Response ,
Hi samtho22, thank you very much for your feedback. We are constantly looking at ways to improve our current FoodSwitch app and having photos is a great idea that we will definitely look into. As for the serve size issue raised, the only way to view and compare 100g with 100g is in the HSR mode. The Traffic Light Label system was designed to display the product scanned in per serve values only, however the healthier choices are ranked using per 100g values for consistency. Try switching modes to HSR and see how you go.
Absolutely love this app. It has helped so much with our food choices when shopping. Could you make it possible to select a few filters? Eg. My partner is coeliac so we use the gluten switch, but I have high blood pressure so I use the salt switch, would be great to be able to combine the two instead of constantly swapping between them.
But otherwise keep up the good work :)
Developer Response ,
Hi Chelley202. Great to hear you are loving this app and thanks for your recommendation! At this point in time we do not have the option of selecting more than one filter at a time, however we are always looking at ways to improve and have noted your recommendation for review.
Very good app
I have found this to be a very good app, especially with my daughters Celiac. Only thing missing is a fructan icon as our 3 yr old son is very sensitive to food with fructan in it.
If you could add an icon for checking fructan in food this would definitely be a 5 Star app for us.
Developer Response ,
Hi Shez32. Thanks for your feedback and great to hear FoodSwitch is helping you with your daughter's food choices. We are constantly looking for new ways to improve our app, however this fructan issue is slightly tricky since FoodSwitch is based on the nutrition information on the food's packaging, limiting the ability to capture full information on ALL products. Since fructan is not a requirement on the nutrition panel it would be difficult to implement in the app correctly.
- The George Institute for Global Health
- 86.2 MB
- Health & Fitness
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © The George Institute for Global Health
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.