Plan trips and stay safer in the woods, with Gaia GPS.
Join hundreds of thousands of backpackers, hunters, offroaders, mountain bikers, backcountry skiers, firefighters, guides, and other serious outdoor adventurers and professionals that use Gaia GPS for work and play. Hike, hunt, and offroad with the best topo maps and outdoor navigation tools.
►► The Best App for Topo Maps
Gaia GPS has been showcased in Apple's "Your Verse" stories, and covered in countless major publications, from Outside and TrailRunner, to the New York Times and FOX News TappedIn.
The name Gaia (guy-yuh) comes from Greek mythology - she is the Goddess of the Earth, or Mother Nature.
• view easy-to-read, modern maps, with fast and beautiful rendering
• explore historic and classic print maps (USGS, USFS, NRCan, IGN)
• download worldwide topo, road, and satellite maps
• search for hiking trails, parks, natural places, and addresses, and tap features on Gaia Topo to get more info
►► Sync and Back-up
• sync your tracks, photos, maps, and waypoints to all of your devices
• keep your data backed up, effortlessly
• share trip plans, and collaborate on shared folders
►► Map Tools
• record tracks, waypoints, and take geo-tagged photos
• import and export GPX and KML files
• customize coordinates types (Decimal, Degrees/Minutes/Seconds, Degrees - Decimal Minutes, UTM, and MGRS)
►► Membership Levels
Free Level - You can use Gaia GPS for free. You'll be limited to the default map source, and you won't be able to download maps for offline use. You can also trial Member features.
Member Level - As a Member, you can download a worldwide catalog of topo, road, and satellite maps.
Premium Member Level - As a Premium Member, you also get access to these map sources:
• NatGeo Trails Illustrated
• ESRI World Satellite Imagery
• France IGN
• US Private Land Ownership (owners and addresses for parcels)
• US Hunting Layers, including GMUs, public land, and fires
• US NeoTreks Topo
• US Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM)
• Hill-shading, contour lines, slope angle, and other overlays
► To manage your subscription:
• TURN OFF auto-renewal via the main Settings app: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098
• Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Your iTunes account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal.
• Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
If you love Gaia GPS, help spread the word by leaving a review. Your review will also get bumped up, when you rate a new update.
* Fix crash when importing a large number of photos.
* Improve styling of waypoint labels in dark mode.
* Added new controls for showing Routes, Tracks, and Areas separately in the Map Overlay menu.
* Fix "Copy to GaiaGPS" not appearing for KML files.
* Logging out now deletes any map data you have saved on your device.
* Fix crash showing tracks with more than 100,000 points.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
I had been using Hema Explorer Pro for a while but the app was buggy - they never updated to the larger screen sizes of the newer devices such as the iPad Pro 10.5”.
Changing to a paid Gaia subscription was the best thing I could have done. The app works perfectly, updates are regular and the quality of maps are superb. I get much better detail of Australian Tracks using the “Mapbox Outdoors HD” map layer which also includes topography. Easy to plan a route both on device and web and sync of waypoints between devices just works. Easy to download maps for offline use and the ability to print maps from the web portal.
Offline maps worked great on a recent bushfire deployment providing medical cover in support of the RFS. RFS were using grid refs, we were using Lat/Long and the app converted easily between the two formats.
Nice for planning & navigating. A few bugs.
I was impressed with the basic membership and recently upgraded to premium. I have experienced a few issues with premium features.
The Bedrock Geology layer is not interactive from as far as I’ve tried (no way to obtain geological information other than age), even in iOS. The Slope-Angle Shading appears not to work in Australia (perhaps should be marked as US only?). Also waypoints sometimes disappear from the map.
I hope some of these issues will be addressed in the future. In the meantime a basic membership is probably better value (at least in Australia).
Multi purpose tool
I have been using Gaia for years now and it’s great. I use it to take waypoints and tracks. It can import or export files kml and gpx, very handy for making the program show you boundaries or features. The offline map feature is very handy it has got me a short cut out of the bush a few times. I also use the watch feature. The help for Gaia is the best they quickly reply to my questions. Great product could not recommend enough.
- Trailbehind, INC.
- 203.5 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 and watchOS 2.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Burmese, Cambodian, Chinese (Hong Kong), Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Laotian, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2009-2020 Trailbehind, inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Gaia GPS Premium $55.99
- Gaia GPS Member $27.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.