GarageBand turns your iPad and iPhone into a collection of Touch Instruments and a feature-packed recording studio — so you can make music anywhere you go. And with Live Loops, it makes it easy for anyone to have fun creating music like a DJ. Use Multi-Touch gestures to play keyboards and guitars, and create beats that make you sound like a pro — even if you’ve never played a note before. Plug in a guitar or bass and play through classic amps and stompbox effects. Use a Touch Instrument, microphone or guitar to instantly record a performance, with support for up to 32 tracks. Use the Sound Library to download additional free instruments, loops and sound packs created by some of the biggest producers in the world. And then share your song with friends and family.
Live Loops. Make music like a DJ
• Use Multi-Touch to tap and trigger a Live Loop cell or group of cells
• Get started with templates or build your own grid from scratch with Apple Loops
• Create custom loops by recording directly into a cell using any Touch Instrument
• Use Remix FX to perform DJ-style effects
• Tap record to capture your performance
Play your iPad and iPhone like a musical instrument
• Play a variety of musical instruments on the innovative Multi-Touch keyboard
• Play and record using the Alchemy Touch Instrument
• Build grooves inspired by classic electronic drum machines with the Beat Sequencer
• Download free instruments, loops and sound packs for GarageBand with the Sound Library
• Capture any sound and apply studio-class effects
• Recreate legendary guitar or bass rigs using virtual amps and stompboxes
• Record performances from third-party music apps directly into GarageBand using Audio Unit Extensions*
• Add virtual session drummers to your song who take direction and play realistic grooves
• Choose from acoustic and electronic drummers and percussionists**
• Each character provides their own sound and the ability to create over a million realistic grooves and fills
Sound like a virtuoso with Smart Instruments
• Play an entire string orchestra using Smart Strings
• Perform with Chord Strips and autoplay using any keyboard instrument
• Groove with a variety of Smart Basses using upright, electric and synth sounds
• Strum chords or trigger autoplay patterns on an acoustic and electric Smart Guitar
Create a song anywhere you go
• Record, arrange and mix your song with up to 32 tracks using Touch Instruments, audio recordings and loops***
• Record multiple times over any song section and choose your favourite using Multi-Take Recording
• Use professional mixing effects, including Visual EQ, Bitcrusher and Overdrive
• Recording, mixing and exporting a song can be done at 24-bit audio resolution
• Trim and place musical regions exactly where you want them to play
• Automate the volume and record the movement of controls on Touch Instruments
• Add comments or lyric ideas to your song with an integrated notepad
Share your songs
• Keep your songs up to date across all devices using iCloud Drive
• Create custom ringtones and alerts for your iPad or iPhone
• Share your songs using email or to social media sites like SoundCloud****
• Remotely add new tracks to your Logic Pro project from your iPhone or iPad via iCloud
* Requires compatible third-party Audio Unit Extensions apps from the App Store.
** Requires free download from GarageBand Sound Library.
*** Multitrack recording requires a compatible third-party audio interface.
**** Sharing to some social media sites may require apps like iMovie, Clips or other third-party apps
This update includes stability improvements and bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
So Addictive, but…
I love GarageBand, and I’ve been using this app since I was probably 3 years old so I’m very familiar with it but that doesn’t mean it’s the best app, it could improve and here’s why… 1. More Instruments. Now this is quite an obvious one but GarageBand is lacking a lot of instruments and its even lacking types of instruments for example there are only 5 types of different guitars and there not great. The only exception is the keyboards and drums because there are heaps of those instruments. I would like more strings, bases, guitars, banjos, special world music drums, mandolins and so much more. 2. The Sound Library. You think the sound library is amazing and has the answers to all your instrument problems but no, it’s just for the Live Loops. It’s fake, it sounds bad and it has no good music in it. There’s not much else I can say now but don’t use this. 3. And finally, Amplifiers. I don’t no why they added this because it’s pretty useless and hard to use. It doesn’t even work as a good amplifier so don’t use it. You waist a lot of time trying to work it out so just don’t bother. There is so much more that I could tell you but it would go on forever. Your probably thinking, why would give this a 4 star rating if I have complained so much, well, I love GarageBand and there is so much amazing music you can make so definitely bye GarageBand because you won’t regret it.
App is great, but needs to add some things
This app is a great way for beginners to get into beat making/producing, however It would be nice if you could add some sort of thing to change tempo or have different tempos in one song (Eg. 110bpm-125 bpm-100bpm etc). I just recon having a feature like this in this app would be amazing for people to let out all the creativity and make a good song while having fun. Having this ability to change tempo mid song allows people to experiment and not just have 1 type of temp throughout the whole song. I find it quite absurd how you have this feature for the mac but not on IOS/IPhones/IPads. Also, another thing I would love in this app is for it to have more 808 basses, more instruments to sample and just basically expand and add more options and to just do as much as you want in a song. I hope you read this and choose to make a couple of slight changes to let people have more fun and to let out all the creativity like I said before. Thank you for this great app, however there is always room for improvement.
Great but a few things missing
It's a great app to make quick short tracks or even full tracks in some extensive detail but it does lack a few key elements that could make things sound much better:
1. When placing notes in the piano roll, you can place plain notes but it'd be great if you were able to place down notes as slide notes which would really add some complexity into the songs
2. When you go into the song settings and change the key, it only allows you to go along the scale above C major. It would be much better if there were also the option to go along the scale below it so we won't have to go to each individual track and change each semitone or octave
3. Garage band allows for volume automation within the song which offers a bit more freedom in the sense of dynamics that can be incorporated, however it would be much better if you could also automate effects within the actual instruments such as the cutoff, attack, decay, release etc. to allow for smooth transitions between different elements and sections of the song
Overall this is a very easy app to use and has a lot of tools to make good-sounding songs. It’s allowed me to create tracks that I’ve included in my portfolio when applying for a music production course at my current uni, although I think this app still has a lot of potential and I look forward to seeing what gets added next
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Pty Limited
- 1.7 GB
- Requires iOS 17.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 17.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2023 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.