Gluon is a highly opinionated, but customisable, third-party app for Micro.blog.
With Gluon, you can do the following:
- View your timeline, mentions, bookmarks and more.
- Reply or post to Micro.blog and also set bookmarks.
- Post to multiple hosted Micro.blog sites with ease.
- Discover the discovery feed including all the “emoji” tagged discover sections.
- Pin your favourite emojis to the Discover screen for quick access.
- Participate in community challenges, featured on Discover.
- Discover promoted content relevant to the community.
- Search users or posts on Micro.blog.
- View user profiles and follow, or, unfollow.
- Add multiple accounts to the app.
- Customise the app from theme, font, accent colours and much more like many awesome icons — because sometimes you just need pink. Need any Nitpicky settings? Got them too!
- Fully functioning Mute list to keep your feed sane and on topic for you.
- Works across iOS and iPadOS.
- And much much more.
This is a third-party client for Micro.blog. An account is required with Micro.blog in order to use the app.
Gluon is an app made with care, focus and love by Vincent Ritter.
Once again hello and welcome to another release of Gluon just for you.
I'm super excited to get this to you as I managed to get some features in the app that I always wanted. Nothing major, but was fun to do. Just to make a little bit better as Gluon matures.
So, here we go:
- Settings screen overhaul. Yeah, it was ugly... so now it looks nicer. And there are some goodies for you here also.
- Alternative icons. Yes, now you can choose an icon to match your favourite new computer or accent colour for the app. I'm just getting started here, so let me know what you want to see.
- More accent themes. A few more colours to spice it up.
- New Nitpicky settings for power users, including: a new image proxy logic handling, making those images pop on your device. Discover changes, like showing pinned topics (more on that next). Open links in-app or in your browser.
- Discovery section, pinned topics. This was already here, but I thought I'll mention it. Now you can pin emoji topics to the top of the Discover section. Each time you load the screen it will pre-fetch your pinned ones so they're ready to rock and roll.
- Timeline items now have a context menu, so you long press on any item to bring up your options. Reply, add to bookmarks and many more. The same goes for promoted content.
- A tweaked tab bar, with new icons (yay!) and also a bookmarks section, so that they are no longer hidden.
- Reply screen now also shows from which account you're replying from... because sometimes you use Gluon with multiple accounts, and that can get confusing... yeah... whooops. No more!
- Mentions screen now has a notification button, taking you straight to the settings.
- Push notifications can now be turned off in-app if you want to have a break.
- Oh and now you can also edit your replies, if within the last 24 hours. Whoop!
- There is so much more, and lots of behind the scenes changes and spelling tweaks...
Oooof, that was a long list. But fear not, I am always working on it if you didn't see something for you.
Thank you so much for everyone helping me keep motivated to make Gluon what it is.
See you next time.
Ratings and Reviews
An Excellent Alternative
Vincent has done an absolutely marvellous job in developing Gluon for Micro.blog. I really enjoy the service in general (by Manton Reece) but prefer Vincent’s take on a tabbed interface for the app, along with the way that you can browse the various ‘Discover’ feed categories. The options for customisation are great and overall it feels much faster and snappier than the official/original Micro.blog app.
One feature addition that I would like to see is the ability to highlight text in various posts and replies in the feed, whether for copying and pasting or defining words with the inbuilt iOS dictionary. (This isn’t so much an issue with the app, hence its well-deserved five-star rating from me.)
Keep up the awesome work, Vincent!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Vincent Ritter
- 9.6 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 14.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.1 or later.
- Requires a Mac with Apple M1 chip and macOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2018 - 2021 Vincent Ritter
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.