Discover and share books you love on Goodreads, the world's largest site for readers and book recommendations!
Find new and interesting books by browsing personalized recommendations based on books you've read and your favorite genres. See what your friends are reading, write book reviews, and keep track of what you want to read.
Use our barcode scanner the next time you are in a bookstore. Add the book in your hands to your "to-read" shelf and browse reviews before buying.
More than 35 million members have added more than 1 billion books to their shelves. No other app combines the power and depth of the Goodreads community with an enormous catalog of books and reviews.
• Get personalized recommendations and discover new books based on your tastes.
• Goodreads Choice Awards: vote for your favorite books of the year and see the winners!
• Participate in the Reading Challenge!
• Barcode scanner!
• Keep a want-to-read list.
• See book reviews and updates from your friends.
• Discover new books and explore popular book lists.
• Rate and review any book in our catalog of more than 12 million books.
• Share notes and progress updates as you read.
• Recommend books to friends.
• Join online book clubs and connect with other readers.
• View literary events near you.
Bug fixes, and more!
Ratings and Reviews
The app for every bookworm, but it definitely needs a few improvements.
I use Goodreads every single day and it’s just overall amazing.
Some of the things that would be great if it was added in the app though:
- An edit and delete option for statuses in this mobile version. You can only do this with a computer and it’s quite a handful to switch on to my laptop only to edit or delete a status because of a typo I’ve written on it with my phone.
- Can you please please please make it easier to add gifs/images or book/author links in reviews, especially in the mobile version?
- Having bold, italic and underline buttons when writing a review would help a lot. Seriously. I despise using “” for bold and “” and all the other stuff.
- The ability to add exclusive shelves and other types of shelves in the mobile app would be cool. I’m pretty sure you can only do this with the computer too.
If these features were added I’m pretty sure more bibliophiles would use this app. I have a friend who loves books as much as I do but using the app is way too confusing for her. Otherwise, I love this app! It made me read a lot more and it’s really useful for keeping track of my reads and ratings.
Slow and buggy
I deeply regret updating this from whatever version number the January 2017 release was. You guys clearly subscribe to the school of app deconstruction instead of development. Ads seem much more intrusive. Everything is slow slow slow (I assume due to the more graphics heavy nature of the homepage, and on that - why do books in my currently reading list need to display the cover? The old text only display was perfectly adequate and didn't mean I was trying to read light-text-on-dark-cover, a disaster combination in ANY app). Finally, making a book read no longer takes me to a page where I can review it, but back to my reading list - meaning I have to click into read, then back into that book to leave a review, which is obviously the first thing most Goodreads users are going to do after marking something as read. Is there any logical or thought-driven reason for this change? Because it is utterly baffling and nonsensical to me.
Stars are now in words
If marking books as re-read is important to you then you may want to update.
If (like me) you want to clearly see the ratings that your friends have given books then you will be disappointed as the stars are now in words and the book average is shown in stars (even in your friend's own bookshelf!) your feed shows your own stars (if you've rated the book) and the person whose comment you are reading has their rating in small letters (so no more skimming to read only 4 and up ratings - which seems to be the point).
Issues like long post threads being cut off have not been addressed, nor has the issue of the "show full review on feed" issue (a review is cut off but when you press show all it doesn't just pop the rest of the text open, it takes you into the review itself, wasting your time)
Speed issues haven't been addressed. Adverts continue to get more intrusive.
I would return to the original app version if I could which had more focus on groups (which are now very hard to get to with a tiny tiny button).
None of my needed changes (view all posts in long thread, link to book in comment, group bookshelf access) have been made.
Site overall: Makes finding your next book easy. I never buy a book without checking Goodreads first, although I use it much less now that they've wrecked the app.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.