Guide Dogs Australia is a fully accessible turn-by-turn GPS iPhone app with all the normal navigation features plus features unique to blind users.
Unique to Guide Dogs NSW/ACT:
• Instead of multiple layers of menus, the three important navigation elements are on the lower portion of every screen: Route, POIs and Location.
• At intersections, the cross street and its orientation are announced
• Intersections are described (e.g. four-way) with the clock face orientation of the streets.
• There are three choices for POI data (Apple, Foursquare, and OSM).
• Directions are configured appropriately for Pedestrian and Vehicle routes, including heads-up announcements for approaching turns, turn now, continue straight and upcoming turns.
• If one wanders off the route, it's automatically recalculated and updated turn information is announced.
• Point your phone in a given direction to hear what is nearby with the LookAround Wand.
• Nearby Points of interest, intersections, and heading changes are automatically announced.
• Ability to run in the background or with the screen locked for iOS 7. If you are running an older version of iOS 6 only the sound effects will play and the phone will vibrate at turns and at your destination but no speech output. Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Requires: Compatible with iPhone 5, iPad Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad 2 WiFi + 3G, iPad Wi-Fi + 4G, iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular. iOS 9.0 or later.
Guide Dogs NSW/ACT uses VoiceOver feature for audio voice output and does not contain its own voice synthesizer.
Supported Maps: U.S., Canada, United Kingdom, France, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Ger-many, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Lithuania, Argentina. Not all countries have full intersection descriptions.
Join us on Twitter, https://twitter.com/airaio
The Guide Dogs NSW/ACT continues to evolve with new features and improvements thanks to Aira Tech Corp.
This release includes:
Fixed an issue where users could not create routes to Aira Access Points.
Ratings and Reviews
Great app but needs watch support
I really love using this app to get around. It has gotten me back on track a few times when I've been lost and when I'm traveling to new (or even not so new) places it's cool to hear what shops and the like are around. I would love to see an Apple Watch app included to complement this app so I can use my watch to navigate my surroundings without having to take out my phone. When I have a cane or my guide dog in one hand and a shopping bags or suitcase in the other it makes it harder to juggle my phone as well. With headphones (soon to get bone conduction so I can hear my surroundings better at the same time) and maps on my watch I can navigate my environment well. I prefer the better descriptions your app gives over regular map apps. It'd be an awesome combination to have the guide dogs app work on my Apple watch (series 2 with gps) linked to bone conduction headphones so I could seamlessly navigate my environment with one hand free for carrying stuff like a sighted person can!
I use this app at least a few times per week, and wouldn’t be without it.
Subscription just stopped
I really liked this product but it now ask for subscription even though I have around 3 months remaining.
The developer link doesn't list this app.
Unless this is addressed will be seeking refund from iTunes."
- Aira Tech Corp
- 89.7 MB
Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Hebrew, Serbian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2015 Sendero Group LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Guide Dogs NSW/ACT 1-Year Subscription $14.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.