One of the SEGA Genesis / Mega Drive's highest-rated games, Gunstar Heroes is now available on mobile! Play free and rediscover Treasure’s classic gem!
A forgotten lunar super weapon, a totalitarian empire bent on world domination, and an insane General who’ll stop at nothing to bring the planet to its knees – only the Gunstar Heroes can stop him. Play as twin brothers Red and Blue, and embark upon one of the most treasured SEGA gems of all time. Arm yourselves with flame-throwers, homing missiles, and lasers to take the fight to the enemy’s HQ – the dreaded orbital fortress, the Ark!
Gunstar Heroes joins the ever-increasing line-up of ‘SEGA Forever’, a treasure trove of free SEGA console classics brought back to life on mobile!
- Mix and match four different weapon types for a total of 14 firearm combinations
- Local, cross-platform multiplayer over local Wi-Fi
- Grab and throw your partner at enemies for vital hits that don’t take up ammo!
- Seven levels to explore, from an ancient ruin to a vast orbital fortress
MOBILE GAME FEATURES
- PLAY FREE with ad-support or ad-free via In-App Purchase
- SAVE YOUR GAMES – save your progress at any point in the game
- LEADERBOARDS – compete with the world for high scores
- HAPTIC SUPPORT: get into the game with responsive button presses
- CONTROLLER SUPPORT: MFi compatible controllers
"Treasure is a treasure indeed and deserves a big round of applause for this phenomenal effort." [99%] - Skid, Diehard GameFan Vol. 1 Issue #10 (September 1993)
"Gunstar Heroes is a title no self-respecting Mega Drive owner can afford to be without." [94%] - SEGA Magazine #1 (January 1994)
"Prepare yourself for a real white-knuckle ride with Gunstar Heroes because it's that amazing!" [93%] - Paul Davies, Mean Machines SEGA #12 (October 1993)
"It's fast, it's fierce, and it's totally brilliant." [92%] - Steve Keen, Computer & Video Games #142 (September 1993)
GUNSTAR HEROES TRIVIA
- The game went under the working titles of Blade Gunner and Lunatic Gunstar
- This was Treasure's first game of six to hit the Mega Drive / Genesis over a two-year period
- M2, creators of the Game Gear port of Gunstar Heroes, went on to remaster the Mega Drive / Genesis original on 3DS over 20 years after the original release
GUNSTAR HEROES HISTORY
- The game was originally released worldwide in 1993
- Developed by: Treasure
- Main Programmer: Mitsuru Yaida
- Lead Composer: Norio Hanzawa
- - - - -
Game apps are ad-supported and no in-app purchases are required to progress; ad-free play option available with in-app purchase.
This game may include "Interest Based Ads" (please see http://www.sega.com/mprivacy#3IBADiscolure for more information) and may collect "Precise Location Data" (please see http://www.sega.com/mprivacy#5LocationDataDisclosure for more information)
© SEGA. All rights reserved. SEGA, the SEGA logo, Gunstar Heroes, SEGA Forever, and the SEGA Forever logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates.
Bug fixes and refinements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Good but still
All the sega games i grew up with but touch screen controls dont do them justice is sega could have a bluetooth compatable controller that would be 5stars not 4
Great Game! But . . .
Hi there SEGA, I love this game, but would like to see a conversion of my all-time favourite game by you - Virtual On: Cybertroopers. Please, SEGA - PLEASE convert this game to iPad. I'm sure it would sell like CRAZY!! (Taxi - that is, Hahaha Lol. 😄).
Decent game. A few bugs though...
Recently was updated for use with latest OS. However only works fully on iPad. With iPhone 5 there are no A, B, C buttons and no sound. Using the iPad is fun, but controls take up a lot of the screen - Takes some getting used to, but game is highly playable and enjoyable. Just as I remember! One bug is that the lead character sprite seems to occasionally vanish after taking damage from a boss, which can be a frustrating handicap. Other than that - Yeah, decent! Cheers :)
- Sega America
- 144.5 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © SEGA, the SEGA logo and GUNSTAR HEROES are either registered trade marks or trade marks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Premium Upgrade $2.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.