Japanese Graded Readers is the perfect app for Japanese language learners who want to practice their reading. You can also improve your Japanese vocabulary and grammar by reading our illustrated stories. Our graded readers are from various genres such as tales, horror stories or texts about Japanese culture.
WHAT ARE GRADED READERS?
Graded readers are books specially written for language learners. They use a limited set of grammar and vocabulary. These simple stories allow learners to enjoy reading without struggling. Studies show learners who use graded readers improve not only their reading skills and many other language abilities.
ADVANTAGES OF READING JAPANESE WITH GRADED READERS:
• Read Japanese without a dictionary: Deliberate repetition of new vocabulary enables readers to infer meaning from context. Graded readers increase skills and confidence because they can be read and enjoyed without a struggle.
• Contextual illustrations aid comprehension: We created artworks that will help you understand new vocabulary and difficult concepts. Thanks to them, you will never have to reach for a Japanese dictionary while reading.
• Narrated by professional Japanese voice talent: Native-Japanese voice talents tell the stories with the proper pronunciation. These audio narratives are recorded by professionals who allow the reader to immerse themselves in our stories.
• Kana reading provided for all kanji characters: Each kanji is transcribed in furigana. Furigana lets the reader know how to pronounce Japanese characters. You’ll only have to be proficient in hiragana to being able to our read graded readers.
• Simplified grammar, vocabulary, and plot: Each story is written for a specific audience. We select grammar difficulty and vocabulary based on the Japanese language proficiency of our readers. Our graded readers are categorized into five levels of difficulty. You will be able to enjoy our stories regardless of your Japanese skills.
JAPANESE GRADED READERS LEVELS:
• Level 0: Beginner level using very basic Japanese. Each graded reader includes less than 400 words. These stories are suitable for students starting to learn Japanese and trying to pass JLPT N5.
• Level 1: Stories with a length between 400 and 1500 words. They are perfect for both JLPT N5 and N4 students.
• Level 2: Elementary level using basic Japanese vocabulary. The length of these Japanese texts is between 1500 and 2500 words. These stories are tailored for learners trying to pass JLPT N4.
• Level 3: Intermediate level stories using everyday Japanese. Level 3 graded readers are made for learners between JLPT N3 and N4. They include 2500 to 5000 words per story.
• Level 4: Upper-intermediate level texts using standard Japanese vocabulary. This level has the longest stories with 5000 to 10000 words per text. Those graded readers are perfect for people at JLPT N3 or N2.
WHAT USERS SAY ABOUT JAPANESE GRADED READERS:
“I found I could understand all of the stories perfectly despite not knowing all of the words. An excellent chance to test my own knowledge of the Japanese language.” Alannah
“These stories are great to enlarge your vocabulary e.g. for JLPT N4 preparation. Thanks to furigana, they are easy to read and the length of each story is well adapted.” Anna
“These stories are easy to read, interesting and will help boost your comprehension of written Japanese. Some are fairy tales, others give you snippets of Japanese culture.” James
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
- New sample pages added so you can try before you buy
- Increased image size
- Various small bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
This app has great potential but falls short, too pricy, not enough content.
I downloaded this app because I wanted something with very simple stories to practice my reading ability in Japanese. The first thing to note is that the free app only comes with one sample story, and it’s not the complete story. Each story costs between $3-$6 depending on its difficulty. Quite pricy for such short stories but I wanted to give it a go all the same. The stories are neatly presented with helpful pictures and also can be read by a narrator for you. I also like that it includes an option to turn on and off the furigana. Unfortunately even if you’re willing to splash out and purchase all the stories, there’s only a couple available at each reading level. Disappointing to say the least. I also had technical issues when purchasing the stories as they didn’t show up in my library. Each time I had to use the restore purchases button to have the app confirm I had made the purchase. If more books were made available at each level and the price of each lowered (or perhaps a bulk discount to buy all the books at a particular reading level), I could see myself using this app often. As it stands currently, I’ll enjoy the stories I’ve paid for and continue searching for a better reader.
I like this app and the stories are fun. Right now, the iPad version doesn’t support multitasking; which is a pain if you want to take notes or look up words at the same time. Looking forward to future improvements!
Good app but needs bug fixes
Quality of stories is high. Excellent resources. However the audio function is completely broken and doesn’t work at all.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- White Rabbit Ventures, LLC
- 22.6 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires a Mac with Apple M1 chip and macOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 9+ Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2018 White Rabbit Ventures, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Aritokirigirisu $2.99
- Doushite Umi wa Shiokarai $4.49
- Doushitekoumori $4.49
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.