Key Verbs with Steffy and James is a simple, fun, interactive action app, designed to teach a range of verbs using a predictable format of present tense command, followed by descriptions in present, and then past tense. This language app in the Key Word Kids series, follows the Key Word Kids Steffy and James as they join family and friends to demonstrate these actions using either: a ‘Learn’ mode where children choose a figure from a set of 3, watch the character perform a command and hear the action described in both the present continuous and past tense; or a ‘Test’ mode which shows the action and gives the present tense but stops the game to allow users to say the action completed, using their past tense form. As with all Language and Learning Steps apps, children are both engaged and learning, with delightful, colourful characters and sound effects, and a selection of short motivating mini games included as brain breaks. Customised options include turning text, voice or background noise on or off.
○ No in-app purchases or links to social media
○ Easy to use
○ Motivating short mini games included
○ Two modes: Learn and Test
○ Three sets of actions in each verb set and three verb sets in each cycle
○ Pause button displayed on screen allows the user to change mode easily, skip a current verb set or return to the home screen
○ Learn mode requires the user to choose one of three available actions and then runs through the verb states without the test screen
○ Test mode requires the user to choose one of three available actions and pauses after the description in the present tense, to ask what the figure did, aiming to test past tense verbs
○ Teaches and tests both regular and irregular past tense verbs
○ Teaches personal pronouns ‘he’, ‘she’ and ‘it’ by using the correct pronoun to describe the past tense action
○ Teaches concepts
○ Customised for a range of ages (1year old learning concepts and vocabulary for actions, but suitable for older children learning past tense)
○ Customisation includes:
-Sound effects: on or off
-Background noise/sound: on or off
-Transition blur between verb cycle: on or off
-Bubbles available for popping when choosing each verb set: on or off
-Voice only (no text)
-Text only (no voice)
-Games available after each cycle of three verb sets: on or off
○ Contains clear speech in neutral English
○ Created by Specialist Educator Play Therapist and Speech Language Pathologist
○ Designed for all children including those learning English as a second language, and excellent for children with language learning difficulties who may find both the conceptual and grammatical aspects of verb learning difficult
○ Made in Australia-scenes include Australian outback, African Safari, Farm, Beach and House
○ Can be used with individuals and small groups
○ Can be used independently or with Speech Pathologist/ teacher/ assistant/ parent/ carer
○ Excellent to establish joint attention with young children, children with autism and other communication needs
○ Used by Speech Language Pathologists and others in conjunction with Key Word Kids as a way to teach verbs as a single action information carrying word (1 ICW) and two word person + action in past tense (2 ICW) eg She kicked, He ate, It flew
Join Steffy and James now in this fun learning app!
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
iOS 11 support
Ratings and Reviews
Don’t buy it
There is only few action words and verbs, thats it. It was a total waste of money
Irregular and regular
Another engaging app with Steffy and James. It would be great if there was a setting to just have irregular or regular verbs as often target these separately for younger kids. Cheers
Not up to date
App needs to be updated to work
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Language and Learning Steps Pty Ltd
- 263.5 MB
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 7.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later.
- Requires a Mac with Apple M1 chip and macOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2015 Language And Learning Steps Pty Ltd
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.