What's that bird? Merlin Bird ID helps you solve the mystery in 5 questions, or with a photo of a bird.
First, Merlin asks you a few simple questions. Then, almost like magic, it reveals the list of birds that best match your description. Pick your bird, then delve into more photos, sounds, and ID tips about your bird!
If you have a photo, Merlin can help there as well. Take a photo, choose from your camera roll, or snap the viewfinder of your zoom camera, and Merlin's powerful AI will suggest an identification almost instantly.
Merlin is fun and easy to use—whether you’re curious about a bird you’ve seen once or you’re hoping to identify every bird that comes to your feeder. The answers are waiting for you with this free field guide app from the renowned Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
• Created for birders and bird watchers of every level, Merlin identifies the 3,000+ most common bird species of the continental United States, Canada, Mexico, Central America and Europe.
• Merlin will now identify a photo using powerful deep learning algorithms. Select your photo, tell Merlin where and when you took it, and you'll see a short list of suggested identifications.
• Bird packs available for United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe, India, Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Brazil, and Chile with more coming soon.
• Explore birds by location and date with a list of species seen in the area.
• Intelligent results. No more scanning through hundreds of possibilities! Merlin shows the birds near you that fit your description.
• Customized location and date tools generate best answers for your neighborhood and time of year.
• Powered by eBird to deliver the most accurate results based on millions of sightings from bird watchers across North America.
• Enjoy more than 25,000 photos of birds, including males, females, and juveniles.
• Learn ID tips from Cornell Lab of Ornithology experts.
• Listen to beautiful bird sounds, including 14,000 songs and calls for each species curated by the Macaulay Library at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
• It’s all free! The Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s goal is to help you and millions of others to learn about birds.
Merlin is the most advanced bird guide app available, and is expanding to new regions of the world.
••• Bird Packs •••
Merlin Bird ID currently includes bird identification help for the United States with regional packs for the: Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Rocky Mountains, Southwest, Texas and Oklahoma, Alaska, and West Coast.
Canada is covered by Eastern Canada and Western Canada packs.
Mexico bird identification is available for each region of the country.
Central America packs include Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama.
South America packs include the Medellín, Bogota and Cali regions of Colombia, southeastern Brazil, and Chile.
Bird identification help is also available for Europe with our Britain and Ireland pack, a Western Europe pack, Iberian Peninsula, and a pack covering the Scandinavian countries.
Asia bird ID help is available for India.
These packs make Merlin the perfect pocket Field Guide to North American Birds, Bird Guide to Hawaii, Bird Guide to Mexico, Bird Guide to Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama, Bird Guide to Colombia, Bird Guide to Brazil, Bird Guide to Europe, Bird Guide to Spain, Bird Guide to Portugal, Bird Guide to Britain, and Bird Guide to Scandinavia.
••• About Photo ID •••
Powered by Visipedia, Merlin Photo ID uses computer vision and deep learning technology to identify birds in photos. Merlin learns to recognize bird species based on training sets of millions of photos from birders at eBird.org. When using Photo ID, enter the date and location where you took the photo; those clues improve Merlin’s accuracy by helping it focus on the species you most likely encountered there.
Merlin 1.6 includes small fixes and tweaks to make your bird identification experience better.
Ratings and Reviews
Merlin is a great app, easy to use and intuitive.
I have used it when traveling o/s.
I can’t wait until mid-2019 when I understand our beautiful Australian Birds will begin to be added to Merlin. Well done & a big thank you.
Developer Response ,
You’ll be happy to know that the first packs for Australia (North and Southeast) are now available in Merlin. Give them a try and let us know how we are doing!
A go to app
I find myself looking up this app a great deal. It’s very easy to use, the maps can be enlarged, which is something I love. The information is succinct too. I love the range of photos of each bird in different plumages.
Thanks for a great app.
Fast & accurate
The speed and accuracy of the app is impressive. I look forward to the release of other areas of Australia.
Needs to include scientific names to help where common names may differ from country to country.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the review! You can check the common names, and toggle on scientific names in Merlin settings.
- Cornell University
- 72.5 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Hebrew, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Cornell University
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.