Immerse yourself in your surroundings and navigate effortlessly with Soundscape spatial audio.
Microsoft Soundscape will place audio cues and labels in 3D space such that they sound like they are coming from the direction of the points of interest, parks, roads and other features in your surroundings.
Switch between using Soundscape in the real world, or the virtual world, to help you build a picture of a place effortlessly with Street Preview.
Soundscape is designed to live in the background and provide you with effortless ambient awareness. Therefore, feel free to use it in conjunction with other apps such as podcasts, audio books, email and even GPS navigation.
- As you walk, Soundscape will automatically call out the key points of interest, roads and intersections that you pass. These can be adjusted and turned on and off.
- An audio beacon can be placed on a point of interest, and you will hear it as you move around. You can place an audio beacon on a point of interest that you would like to track such as your destination, a point to return to or a landmark you are familiar with.
- "My Location" describes your current location and the direction you are facing.
- "Nearby Markers" describes nearby places you have marked.
- "Around Me" describes nearby points of interest in each of the four cardinal directions, helping with orientation. Try this out when getting off a bus or leaving a train station.
- "Ahead of Me" describes points of interest in front of you, for example when walking down the street.
To get the most out of the experience, you will need a pair of stereo headsets that you feel comfortable wearing outdoors. For example, bone conduction headsets, Apple AirPods and in-ear open headphones have proven to work well.
We hope you enjoy the experience. We believe that this kind of technology offers a new way to relate to the environment around you and we can’t wait to hear what you make of it.
If at any time you have any questions about Soundscape, please refer to the Help & Tutorials section available on the main menu or if you require further help then you can contact the Disability Answer Desk on 1-800-936-5900 which is a free of charge service.
The visual design of the audio beacon on the home screen has been refreshed. To better support the diverse abilities of our users, we have added a visual map for those who might find it helpful in reinforcing the location of the beacon. This release also includes bug fixes and performance improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Disappointing to use
I knew it had problems when I tried to use it in a small local shopping centre when he told me where a shop was WeChat not been there for years, had something else there afterwards and now was empty so a bit useless there, but the last time I tried to use it I was close to a train station which had been there around 20 years but could not find it, so I asked a stranger who actually was fortunately close by and they said it was across the road and they took me there which train station would be quite a significant landmark so, would not use it again
yet again, another update claiming to require motion & fitness tracking data! Absurd!
Still one star, because of the continuing, obscene necessity for Motion and Fitness Tracking to be enabled: an absurd waste of battery, Not to mention an excuse for unnecessary data collection!
There is no reason for this data; previous versions worked perfectly well without this intrusive information gathering, As indeed did this version, for the first five minutes of operation, Before insisting suddenly motion and fitness tracking be turned on: Proof, if any is needed, that such data is unnecessary for correct operation.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Health & Fitness
- Search History
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Microsoft Corporation
- 69.4 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
English, Danish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2019 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.