Minimal Pairs is a fun and engaging application for working on speech sound discrimination and production. The app is designed for children whose speech is still developing, but it can be useful for a number of different people. Minimal pairs exercises are used by people with with dysphasia, dyslexia or dysgraphia; teachers of adult literacy; therapists working with children who have language and literacy needs or those working with people for whom English is a second language. The app can be set up by parents, teachers and speech pathologists and can be used in both listening and practising for speaking modes, using phrase completion tasks.
There are settings to turn the Dubdub styling off if you’re using the app with an older child or an adult.
The program targets the following speech sounds in the initial, medial, final and blend position of words: p, b, m, n, t, d, k, g, f, v, s, z, dz (as in jam), j (as in yacht), w, r, l, th, sh, ch. You can choose to work on sounds at the beginning of words (such as wing and ring), the middle (open and ocean), the end (bed and bet), or in blends (such as clock compared to lock). Each task can also be modified to have the symbol and text, just the text or just the symbol. At the end of each set, you can watch motivational videos of Dubdub and see the results. Results are easily shared via email so you can keep a track of progress made by your child.
• Over 700 individual target words
• Targets auditory discrimination (identifying the difference between sounds in words)
• Targets spoken production of minimal pair contrasts at word level and within phrase completion tasks
• The app covers all consonants in English and offers both English and American voices
• Option to present the cards with symbol only, symbol + word or word only
• Spoken cues
• Engaging and colourful Widgit symbols
• Fun and motivational videos
• Fun sounds used as a reinforcement to aid learning (can also be turned off)
• Option of two themes (Dubdub’s theme or simple -- adult friendly -- theme)
• Clear visual feedback on each item
• Automatically keeps track of accuracy
• Email results table (includes performance of each item within the set and the overall percentage correct within the set.
• Parental control menu access
• Information from our resident speech therapist
• Enables self directed learning and continuation of therapy at home
- Minor Bugs fixed
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
This app's description suggested that there would be a few sounds and processes to choose from in various positions (intial, medial, final, blends). This was not the case when I downloaded the app. For the common process of fronting (/g/ to /d/) only 3 pairs all in intial position. /Sh/ to /s/ there were only 5 pairs all in initial position. Would not recommend this app as it provides little content for the price.
Good app for minimal pairs
I like this app. You can choose whether you want US orUK accent. You have great scope for contrasts, not just the standard processes like fronting or stopping or voicing. I found plenty of target pairs available. Anyone who works with kids with phonological disorder would find this useful.
Worth a dollar max... 5 pairs per sound therefore not adequate for assessment or treatment...I want my money back
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.