There has never been a better time to get into XMPP, a free public chat network no one controls or owns. Monal is fast and user friendly. Just download the app, login or register and you are ready to chat in minutes. It looks and works the way other apps do, so there is no need to “learn XMPP” or even care what it is.
- No Ads! Strong focus on privacy. Does not phone home and does not have "metrics" software beyond anonymous crash reporting (crashlytics). Does not read any personal information.
- With a direct connection to your server, your password and all other info is never sent to a third party.
- OMEMO encrypted chat
- Will work with corporate XMPP servers that require VPN
- MUC multi user chat
- Standard XMPP Jingle VOIP
Implements XMPP certain extensions intended to improve mobile communication.
- XEP-0357: Push Notifications
- XEP-0280: Message Carbons keep messages in synch between clients.
- XEP-0198: Stream Management to quickly reconnect.
- XEP-0199: XMPP Ping to maintain connections.
- XEP-0313: Message Archive Management to download chat history.
- XEP-0352: Client State Indication for dramatic reduction on power use.
- XEP-0363: HTTP File Upload to send images in conversations.
- view and send location messages
- ALPN support
- fixed issues with presence
- draft text
- faster, reduced memory and battery usage
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Jabber / XMPP messages not arriving
I wanted to like this app, I really did. It has a lot of potential and I gave it a few months, but it’s currently not really viable for everyday XMPP/Jabber messaging. Once the app is backgrounded for more than a few minutes Jabber / XMPP messages aren’t pushed to your phone, so you won’t know when anyone has messaged you unless you constantly foreground the app, which isn’t feasible. I also know that on a number of occasions people have sent me messages that never arrived, even after foregrounding the app, though I can’t prove that part was the app and not some server glitch.
So much potential
This is the only app we've found that successfully connects to our Openfire Jabber server. Only problem is it crashes pretty much every time you try and join a group chat room.
Great for direct client
Other clients proxy your communication through unknown third party servers, this one goes direct to your jabber server.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.