There has never been a better time to get into XMPP, a free public chat network no one controls or owns. Monal is a fast and user friendly way to use XMPP. Just download the app, login or register and you are ready to chat in minutes. It looks and works the way other apps do, so there is no need to “learn XMPP” or even care what it is.
- No Ads! Strong focus on privacy. Does not phone home and does not have "metrics" software
- Does not read any personal information.
- With a direct connection to your server, your password and all other info is never sent to a third party.
- OMEMO encrypted chat
- Will work with corporate XMPP servers that require VPN
- MUC multi user chat
- Standard XMPP Jingle VOIP
Implements XMPP certain extensions intended to improve mobile communication.
- XEP-0357: Push Notifications
- XEP-0280: Message Carbons keep messages in synch between clients.
- XEP-0198: Stream Management to quickly reconnect.
- XEP-0199: XMPP Ping to maintain connections.
- XEP-0313: Message Archive Management to download chat history.
- XEP-0352: Client State Indication for dramatic reduction on power use.
- XEP-0363: HTTP File Upload to send images in conversations.
- Show warning if camera permissions are missing while trying to use camera
- Fixed duplication of contacts in chat overview
- Fixed some crashes
- Show Debug menu after tapping 16 times onto app version
- Don't drop file download errors silently
- Don't log outgoing sasl and passwrd change stanzas (your password won't be logged anymore)
- Trim whitespaces and newlines at the beginning or end of a message
- Fix microphone icon not always showing
- Renamed "Log" to "Debug" in settings menu
- Move contact details close button to the left
- Fix some very rare TCP stream handling bugs.
- Fix old xmpp resources created with monal older than 4.3 not having a random part
- Fix bug in upload queue not reacting to enter key
- Only register to APNS and push appserver if notifications are allowed (privacy)
- Fix bug in mam handling with ejabberd
Ratings and Reviews
So much potential
This is the only app we've found that successfully connects to our Openfire Jabber server. Only problem is it crashes pretty much every time you try and join a group chat room.
Jabber / XMPP messages not arriving
I wanted to like this app, I really did. It has a lot of potential and I gave it a few months, but it’s currently not really viable for everyday XMPP/Jabber messaging. Once the app is backgrounded for more than a few minutes Jabber / XMPP messages aren’t pushed to your phone, so you won’t know when anyone has messaged you unless you constantly foreground the app, which isn’t feasible. I also know that on a number of occasions people have sent me messages that never arrived, even after foregrounding the app, though I can’t prove that part was the app and not some server glitch.
Great free Gtalk client
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Anurodh Pokharel
- 28.4 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Nepali, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Anurodh Pokharel
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.