As a parent, do you sometimes ask yourself questions like...
Does my child spend too much time playing games?
What sorts of games does my child play?
Can I restrict games according to my child's age?
If so, this might be just the app for you!
Nintendo Switch Parental Controls™ is a free app that allows you to easily monitor your child's use of the Nintendo Switch console.
(Please note: A Nintendo Switch console with the latest available system version is required to use this app.)
With Nintendo Switch Parental Controls, you can:
1. Monitor your child's play time on the console.
Set a daily play time limit, which notifies your child on the console when time's up for the day. You can also check this app to see how long they've been playing. If necessary, you can also use the "Suspend Software" feature to make the console go into sleep mode when the set time is reached.
2. Find out what games your child plays.
Nintendo Switch Parental Controls provides convenient reports that show you what video games have been played on the console recently and how much time was spent playing each day.
View daily reports and monthly summaries of play activity. If you choose to receive push notifications, you'll be notified when a new monthly summary is available.
This will help you learn what games your child enjoys most.
3. Set restrictions to ensure your child can play safely, no matter their age.
Easily restrict features of the Nintendo Switch console as appropriate for your child. This includes restricting games above specific age ratings.
● In order to use the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app, a parent or guardian (aged 18 or above) needs to have a Nintendo Account.
● You can set purchasing restrictions, including restrictions on purchasing products and services in Nintendo eShop, in the Nintendo Account settings.
● In order to make use of all of the features and settings available in the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app, all linked Nintendo Switch consoles need to be using the latest system version.
Added compatibility with iOS 15.
Other small improvements have also been made.
Ratings and Reviews
Easy to use
This app makes it so easy to mange my child’s devices. Would like to see functionality added that allows a zero minutes play (so when children have lost privileges the device cannot be used - currently the minimum time you can set is 15mins. Would also like to see ability to ‘blacklist’ apps - so, opposite of white lists. There are some apps I don’t wish my children to be using but they still fit within the age bracket. Thanks for a really great app tho - the flexibility, functionality and interface are super easy to use.
Overall a great App, I love that I can have the Gaming stoped by a certain time, setting times is easy, would be great to have a play no earlier than... option, we have a 9 yr old that will wake early to play when he should b still sleeping.
My only gripe is it’s confusing to set up profiles for each child especially when they both have switch lites and a joint switch console, ( 3 consoles) my son plays games my daughter also wants to play but she can’t if my son has downloaded it on his Nintendo shop profile, the only way I can see them being able to play each other’s games is if u buy the physical game at the shops. I found it so confusing both my kids somehow ended up with 2 profiles.
Great but missing a few key options
Really happy with very user friendly app based parental control options for the Nintendo switch. Best I’ve seen of comparable devices by a long shot.
However there are a few key features missing:
- really need a passcode lock for the whole device. My kids can pick it up an turn it on at any time. I’d much prefer to be able to allocate game time to them without having to hide the switch in the cupboard.
- need an option for allocating 0 minutes play time on particular days. The minimum is currently 15mins. But some days I’d like to be able to keep the device turned off.
- would really like to be able to allocate different levels if restriction to different users. Our kids are 13, 8 and 5. Is like the 13 year old to be able to play games that are too old for the younger kids but I have to log in and change while of device settings each time. But if a loan and surely easy to fix.....
Other than that, Thanks Nintendo. All in all pretty good user friendly options for parents.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Nintendo Co., Ltd.
- 98.2 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2017 Nintendo Co., Ltd.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.