Travel back in time to the dawn of electronic music with this strange retro app – a MIDI player preloaded with 500+ legendary CMI (Computer Musical Instrument) sounds.
The first byte-perfect re-issue of the classic CMI sounds of the 80s, immortalised by artists including Alan Parsons, Jean Michel Jarre, Trevor Horn, Thomas Dolby, Brian Eno, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Stevie Wonder and so many more.
This app includes a play-only demo of the famous ‘Page R’, which was the world's first screen-based rhythm sequencer. Today every sampler, digital synthesiser, sequencer and audio workstation can trace its lineage back to this legendary machine.
Now you can have, in your pocket or on your iPad, a piece of history developed by Peter Vogel and other music nerds who worked on the Fairlight* CMI in the '80s.
- browse and play the entire original CMI IIX Sounds floppy disk library
- 564 voices imported digitally.
- play the CMI voices from an external MIDI input (supports Core MIDI devices. Line6 MidiMobilizer II or Akai SynthStation require MidiBridge or similar), or use the on-screen keyboard
- display voices graphically using the iconic Page D, and change your viewpoint by tilting your iPhone/iPad.
- play built-in CMI Page R compositions or import and play compositions sent to you by others.
- authentic CMI user interface experience, including floppy disk quirks.
UPGRADE to PRO VERSION
Use the in-App upgrade process to add “pro” features for an additional $39.99. Vogel CMI Pro App includes CMI III voices, the ability to compose 8 track songs using the Page R pattern sequencer, sampling your own voices from the microphone or line in and much more. See the “Vogel CMI Pro” app description for details.
I would have never dreamt in a million years to own a Fairlight. It is the stuff of legends! Beyond any ordinary man's budget! And for this day to come a reality for a mere $10!! I am in awe and shock! I cannot emphasize how thankful I am to you for releasing this Iconic and Legendary instrument as an iPhone application!! (Imad Hamadieh, Dubai, UAE)
When I saw it yesterday and found out about it, I just about fainted!!
Very nice app! A complete revival / reissue of the best computer musical instrument ever in a tiny but very useful format. It is a joy to see an epic piece of synthesizer/sampling history as an app for the millions. Finally you can take your Fairlight wherever you are! A Fairlight to go-go-go! (Freek Roffel, Netherlands)
Again I would like to take a moment and extend a huge THANK YOU to the entire Fairlight team. ... You have taken the time and patience to create an affordable solution for the masses. ... You have given us a gift. I am truly excited to see what users will do with this App to change the future of music once again. Sincerely, thank you. (Zacharia Malakai, USA)
All I can say is WOW!! I have put this thru my BIG speakers in my studio and put a little reverb on and the sound is stunning – SO what am I going to do with my Fairlight CMI-IIx now?? (Howard J Smith, USA)
This App will work on any device running iOS 7 or later. However, if you want to use Audiobus or do heavy performance and composing work with the Pro upgrade, we recommend a minimum of iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4 or iPad 2.
*Fairlight is a trademark of Fairlight.au Pty Ltd Australia
• Better iOS14 compatibility
• Fixes random crash on startup
• Fixes crash on startup when you select the wrong voltage
• Better iOS 13 compatibility
• Replaces the obsolete channel volume setting with a mixer output setting (for some external audio devices that were saturating)
* Use Audiobus to connect, map and route MIDI inputs and outputs from physical devices and other apps, including individual inputs for each channel card synth as well as one for Page R MMC (start/stop control)
* The on-screen keyboard now shows which voice it will play, and automatically mirrors the first instrument channel when an instrument is selected
* New settings to control how external MIDI events are routed to the selected voice and Page R recording
* The selected voice now has its own MIDI channel, so you now have a 9-channel synthesiser
* Page 2 instrument voices now list their assigned MIDI channel number
* Page S (Sampler) tightened timing on recording start-- no longer records the last beep
* Improvements in iOS 12 and future compatibility
* fixes an occasional crash with MIDI in, especially in Page R
* fixes a crash in iOS 12 on phones when moving from Page 3 to Page R
* fixes the missing music keyboard in Page R on some phones
* fixes the crash when using the very quirky “MIDI by turns” setting
* fixes loss of audio after phone call interruption
* fixes the newsletter subscription process in the settings
* fixes audio shutdown and buzzing noise in background when Audiobus is connected and the "background audio" setting is off
NOTE: although this app appears as a source and destination for Inter App Audio, it is not configured to do so. Use Audiobus to route audio to and from apps that need IAA.
Must be 7
Ratings and Reviews
Novelty app but pricey
I appreciate the idea of trying to make the experience seem authentic however once the novelty wore off I found the interface tedious, slow and ignorant of the possible innovations of using the iPad as an input device.
The sounds are very true to form and a credit to the Fairlight team but I have to be honest and say had I have been able to download a free demo I wouldn't have bought the app.
Please remove the gimmicks and rethink the UI or provide people a demo version to try so that they can make an educated purchasing decision.
Fairlight time capsule.
I really like the fairlight app.
It’s like a journey back in time without the stress of maintaining a real fairlight 2x machine.
I wish the page r sequencer could record odd time signatures like the hardware fairlight could.
The fairlight app is locked into only playing in a four four time signature which is a bit frustrating.
The fairlight series 3 sounds are my favourite although they are not multi sampled across the keyboard but then this app is modelled on the 2x not the series 3.
It’s amazing how these days we take music technology for granted with digital audio workstations Cubase and Logic.
The fairlight app is like a time capsule with sampling and sequencing that changed the way we worked in the 1980s and is where it all began!!
Crashes on Startup
Cannot comment on the app as it crashes 1 second after startup. All i lnow is that I have done my dough cold on this one. Pooey on this app
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Peter Vogel Instruments Pty Ltd
- 86.7 MB
- Requires iOS 12.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.1 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2021 Peter Vogel Instruments Pty Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- CMI Pro Upgrade $62.99