Travel back in time to the dawn of electronic music with this strange retro app – a MIDI player preloaded with 500+ legendary CMI (Computer Musical Instrument) sounds.
The first byte-perfect re-issue of the classic CMI sounds of the 80s, immortalised by artists including Alan Parsons, Jean Michel Jarre, Trevor Horn, Thomas Dolby, Brian Eno, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Stevie Wonder and so many more.
This app includes a play-only demo of the famous ‘Page R’, which was the world's first screen-based rhythm sequencer. Today every sampler, digital synthesiser, sequencer and audio workstation can trace its lineage back to this legendary machine.
Now you can have, in your pocket or on your iPad, a piece of history developed by Peter Vogel and other music nerds who worked on the Fairlight* CMI in the '80s.
- browse and play the entire original CMI IIX Sounds floppy disk library
- 564 voices imported digitally.
- play the CMI voices from an external MIDI input (supports Core MIDI devices. Line6 MidiMobilizer II or Akai SynthStation require MidiBridge or similar), or use the on-screen keyboard
- display voices graphically using the iconic Page D, and change your viewpoint by tilting your iPhone/iPad.
- play built-in CMI Page R compositions or import and play compositions sent to you by others.
- authentic CMI user interface experience, including floppy disk quirks.
UPGRADE to PRO VERSION
Use the in-App upgrade process to add “pro” features for an additional $39.99. Vogel CMI Pro App includes CMI III voices, the ability to compose 8 track songs using the Page R pattern sequencer, sampling your own voices from the microphone or line in and much more. See the “Vogel CMI Pro” app description for details.
I would have never dreamt in a million years to own a Fairlight. It is the stuff of legends! Beyond any ordinary man's budget! And for this day to come a reality for a mere $10!! I am in awe and shock! I cannot emphasize how thankful I am to you for releasing this Iconic and Legendary instrument as an iPhone application!! (Imad Hamadieh, Dubai, UAE)
When I saw it yesterday and found out about it, I just about fainted!!
Very nice app! A complete revival / reissue of the best computer musical instrument ever in a tiny but very useful format. It is a joy to see an epic piece of synthesizer/sampling history as an app for the millions. Finally you can take your Fairlight wherever you are! A Fairlight to go-go-go! (Freek Roffel, Netherlands)
Again I would like to take a moment and extend a huge THANK YOU to the entire Fairlight team. ... You have taken the time and patience to create an affordable solution for the masses. ... You have given us a gift. I am truly excited to see what users will do with this App to change the future of music once again. Sincerely, thank you. (Zacharia Malakai, USA)
All I can say is WOW!! I have put this thru my BIG speakers in my studio and put a little reverb on and the sound is stunning – SO what am I going to do with my Fairlight CMI-IIx now?? (Howard J Smith, USA)
This App will work on any device running iOS 7 or later. However, if you want to use Audiobus or do heavy performance and composing work with the Pro upgrade, we recommend a minimum of iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4 or iPad 2.
*Fairlight is a trademark of Fairlight.au Pty Ltd Australia
• Fixes crash on startup when you select the wrong voltage
• Better iOS 13 compatibility
• Replaces the obsolete channel volume setting with a mixer output setting (for some external audio devices that were saturating)
* Use Audiobus to connect, map and route MIDI inputs and outputs from physical devices and other apps, including individual inputs for each channel card synth as well as one for Page R MMC (start/stop control)
* The on-screen keyboard now shows which voice it will play, and automatically mirrors the first instrument channel when an instrument is selected
* New settings to control how external MIDI events are routed to the selected voice and Page R recording
* The selected voice now has its own MIDI channel, so you now have a 9-channel synthesiser
* Page 2 instrument voices now list their assigned MIDI channel number
* Page S (Sampler) tightened timing on recording start-- no longer records the last beep
* Improvements in iOS 12 and future compatibility
* fixes an occasional crash with MIDI in, especially in Page R
* fixes a crash in iOS 12 on phones when moving from Page 3 to Page R
* fixes the missing music keyboard in Page R on some phones
* fixes the crash when using the very quirky “MIDI by turns” setting
* fixes loss of audio after phone call interruption
* fixes the newsletter subscription process in the settings
* fixes audio shutdown and buzzing noise in background when Audiobus is connected and the "background audio" setting is off
NOTE: although this app appears as a source and destination for Inter App Audio, it is not configured to do so. Use Audiobus to route audio to and from apps that need IAA.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Unique and fun
It's really interesting to use different sequencer designs because they all seem to cause different sorts of music to come out of them. The page R style has me writing really different music to what I usually do-I consider this a good thing-the limitations are actually welcome cos I spend more time thinking about the notes rather than tweaking effects forever-as an app it seems to be more in the "instrument" category than the full production environment style app.but this is for the better I believe. Needs a few more of the original features like pages 4,5,6 to get full stars-it's great how you can email your current project from iPad to the iPhone very easily and work away while on the way to work or whatever. Well done Fairlight team!
ok, but overpriced and too limited
After trying Garageband for $5, I thought this app must be at least fun at $13, and it is, but it is far too expensive. As a nostalgia trip it is fun, but newer users wonder what the hell all the noises are and what all the fuss is about. The real problem is that it is basically a demo for $15 - it should be free and we should all be refunded. The full useful app is $48, and I can't see how it can be worth it. $15 for the full app (remember that Garageband, infinitely more useful is only $5) would be ok. My recommendation is to skip this and go for Garageband, unless you are rich (always a prerequisite for Fairlight gear) or have a particular nostalgia for the CMI.
Pros: Page R and the Fairlight CMI sounds (not always pretty, but classic), the waveform display view (changes with tilt).
Cons: Price, slowness, inability to have the keyboard any other size, lack of key activation when sliding across keys (unlike other keyboard apps), inability to edit sounds etc etc - limits everywhere.
Weird: The startup nonsense simulating an 8" floppy, the sound of the keys "klunking" as you play them etc - these should all be optional with settings to turn them off.
The Fairlight was one of the most important and influential synthesisers in modern music history. That was the 80s. All that had to be done with this app was to make it make sense on the iPad. The main reason why any serious modern composer would want to use an app like this is to access the incredible and rich sound bank the Fairlight had. Instead, this app is the epitome of skeuomorphism gone wrong. Even Scott Forstall would shudder at this. The loading sounds, the unnecessary delays...there is no reason for this. Preserving all of the flaws and technological setbacks of the original Fairlight does not make this app fun or endearing, it makes it frustrating and a waste of time and money. The solution is simple. Make an app with a great keyboard and a simple, elegant, fast sound bank selection screen. Build in a simple sequencer and away we go. Then, people serious about making music and keeping the Fairlight legacy can do so unobstructed and legitimately.
- Peter Vogel Instruments Pty Ltd
- 87.4 MB
Requires iOS 12.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2019 Peter Vogel Instruments Pty Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- CMI Pro Upgrade $62.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.