The Preschool Food and Play Questionnaire was developed and validated as an interactive picture-based research tool to assess preschool aged children’s knowledge of and preference for food and physical activity.
- Assesses preschool aged children’s knowledge of nutrition and physical activity.
- Assesses preschool aged children’s preference for food and physical activity.
- Appropriate for 4 to 6 year old children.
- Allows participant to self-select answers.
- Presents photo-pairs, preference and knowledge testing in random order.
- Prompts researcher to repeat rules of the task to participant at set intervals.
- Data/test results can be exported via email in CSV format.
Exports contain: Participant ID, time and date of test, scores for each individual photo-pair, total knowledge scores (as well as separate physical activity and food knowledge scores), Total preference scores ( as well as separate scores for food and physical activity preference).
More information regarding the validation and use of this tool is available in the following publication: Wiseman, N., Harris, N., & Downes, M. (2017). Validation of an iPad activity to measure preschool children’s food and physical activity knowledge and preferences. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 14(1), 11.
The app has been developed based on the following study: Calfas, K. J., Sallis, J. F., & Nader, P. R. (1991). The development of scales to measure knowledge and preference for diet and physical activity behaviour in 4-8 year old children. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 12(3), 185-190.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.