Profs' Phonics 1 invites 3 to 7 year old children to explore detailed paintings for words that start with a particular sound. Children will come to understand that words may start with the same sound that is represented by a letter of the alphabet. This is known as 'cracking the alphabetic code' and is essential for children to be able to understand the reading process.
Profs' Phonics has been developed by Professors Ruth Fielding-Barnsley and Ian Hay as a result of their research into how children learn to read.
For more paintings and words, buy Profs' Phonics 2, also by Doc Ruth.
- Learning about the individual sounds in words (phonemic awareness).
- Learning through detailed observation, animation, sound and touch.
- Visual and auditory feedback of identified words, allowing for recognition of words.
- Contrasting incorrect words to discriminate between learned sounds (s,t,l,p,a).
- Based on the findings of The Independent Rose Review of the Teaching of Early Reading in the UK (https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/standard/publicationDetail/Page1/DFES-0201-2006).
- Feedback on the number of correct words that your child has found in each poster.
- The ability to teach your child their first words made up of the learned sounds.
- Extends your child's vocabulary with the inclusion of 137 words.
- Ideal as story and conversation starters.
- Updated for iOS 8 and above.
- Makes full use of all iPad and iPhone screen sizes.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
In response to latest review the instructions are under the letter ‘i’ in top right corner. There are also links to utube videos. The pie chart fills up as the child finds the words and clues are given for ones that have not been found.
At least it's free
You'd think that a university professor should be able to come up with something a bit more professional than this. A pretty bare-bones App, with no instructions, and the opportunity to hear something like 5 letters sounded out.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.