Quarterly Essay is an agenda-setting Australian journal of politics and culture. Each issue contains a single essay written at a length of about 25,000 words, followed by correspondence on previous essays.
Established in 2001, Quarterly Essay aims to present the widest range of political, intellectual and cultural opinion and to foster debate. It offers a forum for original long-form investigations, profiles and arguments.
Awarding-winning essays include Political Animal and Power Trip by David Marr, That Sinking Feeling by Paul Toohey and Stop at Nothing by Annabel Crabb. Authors include Tim Flannery, Don Watson, Robyn Davidson, Germaine Greer, Robert Manne, George Megalogenis, Laura Tingle, Anna Krien, Waleed Aly, Inga Clendinnen, David Malouf and Noel Pearson.
For existing Print and Digital subscribers, login with your Schwartz Media account.
Get full access to the Quarterly Essay app by subscribing via iTunes.
• 12 month subscription for $39.99, automatically renewed until cancelled
Your subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Your iTunes account will automatically be charged at the same price for renewal within 24-hours of the end of the current period (another year for annual subscribers, another month for monthly subscribers) unless you change your subscription preferences in your account settings. You can manage your subscriptions through your Account Settings after purchase. No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during the active subscription period.
Fixed an issue which caused the app to freeze for up to a minute.
Ratings and Reviews
Deleting back issues from device
The last few updates have caused an issue where back issues are periodically deleted from my device. It's an unpleasant surprise when away from data connection to open up the app for a great long-read, only to find that the issue needs to be downloaded again.
Needs to be updated!
I've been using the app for a while now and although the 'freezing' issue mentioned by other reviewers is resolved they still have some annoying quirks.
1. I updated to iOS 11 on my iPad and all the apps have now stopped working in landscape and only on clunky portrait. I like to have my iPad on a table which is landscape and so please allow that feature again. (On all three of your publications apps.)
2. As noted by others the bookmark feature is next to useless and very annoying. Almost every time I go back into it it takes me back to the top page and I have to scroll down to find the essay I'm reading. Then having done that it can't remember where I actually was! Currently reading Wally Aleed's one called 'What's right' and for some reason after all the scrolling I click on it and it takes me to Chapter 2, or just to the front cover and I have to remember where I actually was and in which chapter...
If the developers can't fix that then at least let users manually book mark where we are!!!
The essay content is good but the app to read them is very frustrating. Why can’t it remember reliably where you got to? Other reading apps do it. You’d think it was pretty basic. Often it evens forgets which essay you were reading when reopening, and certainly forgets where you were up to. May once in 50 times it actually reopens at the right page. Please spend a few bucks on development to match the content you are selling.
- Schwartz Publishing Pty Ltd
- 2.5 MB
Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2015 Schwartz Publishing Pty Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Subscription $49.99
- On the US Election $9.99
- Balancing Act $9.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.