Millions of people use Signal every day for free and instantaneous communication anywhere in the world. Send and receive high-fidelity messages, participate in HD voice/video calls, and explore a growing set of new features that help you stay connected. Signal’s advanced privacy-preserving technology is always enabled, so you can focus on sharing the moments that matter with the people who matter to you.
• Say anything – State-of-the-art end-to-end encryption (powered by the open source Signal Protocol™) keeps your conversations secure. Privacy isn’t an optional mode — it’s just the way that Signal works. Every message, every call, every time.
• Go fast – Messages are delivered quickly and reliably, even on slow networks. Signal is optimized to operate in the most constrained environment possible.
• Feel free – Signal is a completely independent 501c3 nonprofit. Development is supported by users like you. No advertisements. No trackers. No kidding.
• Be yourself – You can use your existing phone number and address book to securely communicate with your friends.
• Speak up – Whether they live across town or across the ocean, Signal’s enhanced audio and video quality will make your friends and family feel closer.
• Whisper in the shadows – Switch to the dark theme if you refuse to see the light.
• Sound familiar – Choose custom alerts for each contact, or disable noises completely. Simon & Garfunkel wrote a hit song about it in 1964, and you can experience the sound of silence whenever you want by choosing “None” as your notification ringtone.
• Picture this – Use the built-in image editing features to sketch, crop, and flip your outgoing photos. There’s even a text tool so that you can add more words to the 1,000 that your picture is already worth.
For support, questions, or more information, please visit:
Follow us on Twitter (@signalapp) and Instagram (@signal_app) for all of the latest updates and announcements.
• The badge count on the app icon now excludes new messages in muted threads and also gets updated when a thread is marked as unread. In other words, numbers after a mute point are a moot point, and you'll see a red "1" when you unread someone.
• Even though the changes are completely unrelated to fast money, the cache performance improvements in this release still help the app feel like a million bucks.
• In ancient times, you'd have to use stones or weights to keep the paper from curling up past where you wanted it to be, but these are modern times so we just added a feature that automatically maintains your scroll position.
• We updated the message retry user interface so it's easy to try again without trying your patience.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Solid, secure, and now a far more polished instant messenger
Signal has always been a reliable messenger, and is regularly updated with big fixes, performance improvements and tweaks. It’s most recent update has given it a massive yet subtle facelift that now has the look and feel of a modern app, a great improvement over the previously dated (although functional and consistent) interface.
3D Touch shortcuts scattered about, a wide range of attachment options, and rock solid security make for a complete feeling messenger.
Always been able to recommend this app to those that want secure messaging, and with its new look it fits more in on any iPhone than ever!
Good Service, but App needs more work
I use Signal quite often with my innermost circle and I’m very confident regarding its security model. Also, censorship circumvention as well as other features are that kind of stuff that makes internet more free, and better, for those who live under not so human friendly governments.
There is the same issue than with WhatsApp groups: you can’t decide whether or not you want to be added to a group. You’re just added without the app asking you. That is not just annoying, but also disruptive and invading, and even in the realm of privacy and security, even if Signal wouldn’t disclose your phone number (which I don’t know), being added randomly to groups you maybe don’t want to be in, can lead to social engineering. That is a star less, if not more.
Developer Response ,
iPad support has arrived. :) Update to version 3.0.1+ and you'll enjoy a brand-new interface that gives you more room without the artificial zoom. Alternatively, set up your favorite tablet as a linked device and it will work alongside Signal on your phone (similar to Signal Desktop) so you can send and receive messages with both hands or one keyboard stand. We also suggest enabling auto-updates: 1. From your iPhone home screen 2. Tap Settings > [your name] > iTunes & App Store. 3. Turn on Apps
Extra security and privacy features
Love this app, it's one of the 'must haves'
Being an app dealing with privacy, I would really appreciate a couple simple security and privacy features that are currently lacking in Signal for whatever reason..
--PW/PIN/Biometrics; to secure the app and/or individual conversations.
Unless I'm missing something anyone with physical access to your unlocked device can take a gander at your contributions and/or mess with settings, or even communicate with anyone..
Obviously any sensitive conversations should be deleted or have disappeared enabled and you should take more care to prevent unauthorised access to your devices, but still you never know, and it's just something I believe should be included in all apps and services that deal with potentially sensitive user information.
--Some kind of "quick quiet mode" to quickly silence and hide any incoming communications.
And status system that enables users to communicate the fact that it isn't necessarily "safe" to contact at the moment.
This ensures any sensitive and private communication is not seen or heard by anyone other than your self.
Thanks for an awesome app so far, I think everyone should be using this, even if you think you don't need to.
- Signal Messenger, LLC
- 139.1 MB
- Social Networking
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Azerbaijani, Basque, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Burmese, Cambodian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hausa, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kannada, Kazakh, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Shona, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © Open Whisper Systems
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.