Simplenote is an easy way to take notes, create to-do lists, capture ideas, and more. Open it, jot down some thoughts, and you're done. As your collection grows, stay organized with tags and pins, and find what you need with instant search. Since Simplenote will sync across your devices for free, your notes are with you at all times.
- A simple, note taking experience
- Sync everything across all your devices
- Collaborate and share
- Stay organized with tags
- Log in with your email or WordPress.com account
SYNC WITH CONFIDENCE
- Automatically sync seamlessly across any computer, phone or tablet.
- Back up and sync everything as you take notes, so you never lose your content.
COLLABORATE AND SHARE
- Collaborate and work together -- share ideas with a colleague, or write a grocery list with your roommate.
- Choose whether to publish your content to the web, and share a link with whoever you want.
- Publish directly to a WordPress site by connecting your WordPress.com account.
- Quickly and easily share with third-party apps.
ORGANIZE AND SEARCH
- Stay organized with tags, and use them for quick searching and sorting.
- Instantly find what you’re looking for with keyword highlighting.
- Use markdown to add formatting.
- Create to-do lists.
- Choose the sorting order of your notes and tags.
- Pin the notes that you use the most.
- Edit tags directly by renaming and reordering.
- Protect your content with a passcode lock.
Terms of Service: https://simplenote.com/terms/
California Users Privacy Notice: https://wp.me/Pe4R-d/#california-consumer-privacy-act-ccpa
Visit simplenote.com to download Simplenote for your other devices.
- Added home screen widgets
- Fixed an iOS 12 specific crash when app launched
Ratings and Reviews
Version 4.20.1: great app + how to make it better
Blazingly fast. It syncs between the iMac, iPad, and iPhone in seconds.
Tags showing up in search results make it easy to find a note.
The Dark Theme makes it easy on the eyes - every app should have this option.
HOW TO MAKE IT BETTER:
There’s a line between notes on the iPhone app - add those lines to the iPad and Mac apps too.
Make the new-note icon always visible, so that we don’t have to clear search results to make a new note.
Add the option to always have the sidebar visible.
Add an iMessage app so that it’s easy to SMS a note.
Having tags at the bottom makes it clumsy when the keyboard pops up - put tags at the top or side instead.
Instead of having to type out the tags, make them all visible so we can tap on the tags we want.
Change the options icon from (i) to (...), because that’s the default icon for options.
Add an undo option for when we delete something by mistake.
Add an icon to pin notes, instead of having to go through the options icon.
When sharing a link to the app, don’t put brackets around the link.
Change the name to SimpleNote - the capital “N” makes the name easier to read.
With checklists, allow us to move the tasks to change the order.
CONCLUSION: A great app, with some room for improvement. If you liked this review, please long-press it and mark it as “helpful.”
I'd been looking for a truly cross-platform note taking app for some time, that could handle markdown format. All my desktop and laptop machines are on Linux, so finding a way of keeping in sync with my iPad & iPhone has been a challenge (to say the least). With Simplenote, not only are my notes fully synced, but can be formatted beautifully and functionally, thanks to markdown. I'm very impressed, and the fact that it's free is even more remarkable.
If I could wish for anything, it would be a way of organizing the notes into sub-folders, and perhaps embracing some of the expanded markdown syntax (strike through, tables and such).
Great idea from the start
I've been using Simplenote from the beginning and what distinguished this app from other like it is its simplicity of logging in and sharing with other devices.
I realise that Apple has separate logins using iCloud for security reasons but this creates a problem if your devices include ones shared by family members etc.
I use Simplenote whenever I need to share texts with other devices quickyly without having to mess around with airdrop that doesn’t always work. Also use it as a way of remembering things for short term memory stuff from the iMac to the iPhone and then to the iPad without having to worry about which iCloud was the author for the note.
It’s amazing that all these years Simplenote has remained free. I would happily pay for it considering how useful it’s been all these years.
For now, I am grateful for the developers of Simplenote for this great app.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Automattic, Inc.
- 19.8 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Welsh
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Automattic
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.