*** Star Chart is now FREE! *** The top educational & augmented reality astronomy app - download and find out why over 20 million people use Star Chart!
You can now have a virtual star chart in your pocket. Look through the eyes of your iPhone or iPad* to see a high-tech window into the whole visible universe.
All you have to do is point your AR enabled device* at the sky and Star Chart will tell you exactly what you are looking at.
Using state of the art GPS technology, an accurate 3D simulation of the visible universe, and a great deal of technical wizardry, Star Chart calculates – in real time - the current location of every star, planet and moon visible from Earth and shows you precisely where they are; even in broad daylight!
Want to know what that bright star is called? Point your device* at it – you might just find out it’s a planet!
Want to know what the night sky looks like to people on the other side of the earth? Well just point your device down!
Want to know where your star sign is in the sky? Star Chart will tell you all this and more.
Star Charts features include:
- Just point and view. When you hold your device up to the sky, Star Chart will automatically start tracking your movements to match the sky *.
- Alternatively, look around the sky using finger gestures – perfect for armchair astronomers!
- In a single app of less than 30MB, Star Chart dynamically scales its visuals and capabilities across all iOS devices to meet the high end capabilities of a retina display iPad while also running smoothly on the earliest iPhones and iPods.
- Accurately depicts all the visible stars of the northern and southern hemispheres - a total of approximately 120,000 stars!
- Fly to and explore all the planets of the solar system, their moons and the sun all rendered in beautiful 3D with state of the art visual effects.
- Using the powerful Time Shift feature, simply tap the time button and smoothly shift up to 10,000 years forward or backward in time.
- Displays all 88 constellations, with constellation imagery based on the beautiful artwork by 17th century astronomer Johannes Hevelius.
- Includes the complete Messier catalogue of 110 exotic deep sky objects.
- Tap on anything in the sky and get the facts on what you are looking at, including distance and brightness.
- Very powerful zoom function, lets you view the sky in extra detail, using intuitive finger gestures.
- Fully configurable. Star Chart displays only the sky objects that you are interested in.
- Allows you to view the sky underneath the horizon. So now you can see where the sun is, even at night!
- Manually set your location to find out what the sky looks like from anywhere in the world.
- Supports dynamic device orientation viewing. Allows you to view the night sky whilst holding your iPhone/iPad* at any angle.
So point your iPhone/iPad* at the sky and see what's out there!
* Augmented Reality mode is available on devices that include a built-in compass. Manual scrolling is supported on all other devices.
Star Chart is published by Escape Velocity Ltd and developed by Escapist Games Ltd. We update Star Chart regularly, so please send us your feedback and feature requests to email@example.com.
And thanks for all your feedback so far!
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/starchart
Follow Star Chart on Twitter: StarChartApp
A few bug fixes:
- Fixed occasional crash when selecting constellations, either from search or by directly tapping on them.
- Star Chart now understands that Pluto has 5 moons, not 4.
- When running in an English variant other than US English, planet/moon order text was not displaying correctly.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
For someone that would like to get back into "Star gazing" this is an App that can help me get back into a fantastic pastime. The darker the outside environment the more your eyes can gain light from distant light sources. There is so much to look in ore, that if a white light is used to read a map, drawing or notes, your night sight can be put at risk. Having a "Night" red light function means you can keep your night vision, and using the app, you can see a lot more that most of the books l have on this topic.
Sky looks different
After the initial novelty and suspension of frustration, I find it disappointing that the sky just looks nothing like the images this app presents. No, I am not expecting to see actual pictures of crabs and Viking ships in the sky... but at least the visible stars and planets should match up with what's presented - and they just don't quite do it for me: right now I am looking at Jupiter and, in my basic spotter scope I can see what looks like several moons which happen to be in a straight line; in this app they are not shown, or they are in the wrong places.
While bright planets can be found and identified, on the screen they are shown to be closer through gross exaggeration of their size, which I find unhelpful.
Speaking of exaggeration, the galaxies and nebula displayed by the app take the cake. They really take away from the usefulness of this app and make finding things more difficult as one has to mentally suppress the garbage.
Could be so much better.
This is a really good star chat app, my only negative comment on it is how occasionally the gps has some issues, and I wish there was options to change the temperature from K (kelvin) to Celsius and Fahrenheit. Other than that it's great! I specially like how it has detailed written information on each of the planets, dwarfs, satellites etc, keep it up.
- ESCAPE VELOCITY LIMITED
- 28.6 MB
Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2009 Escape Velocity Limited
- In-App Purchases
- Meteor Showers $7.99
- Extended Solar System $7.99
- Extended Star Catalog $14.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.