Symphony Pro 6 is a complete and intuitive app for writing music notation on iPad. It allows you to compose music for just about any size ensemble, from piano, symphonies, band, lead sheets, chord charts, guitar tabs, and more.
Starting Version 5, Symphony Pro now offers handwriting recognition as the only in-app purchase: Perfect with Apple Pencil, and works great with touch or capacitive stylus
SP provides all of the key options to begin your work. Import a score via MusicXML, MXL, MIDI, or SP file from your computer, or from apps like Dropbox, Mail, iCloud Drive, or Safari. You can base your project on a template, or start a blank score and add additional parts later.
To add notes, choose Pencil mode, and tap anywhere on a bar to begin editing right away. You can quickly specify note properties before or after placing notes. By switching to Select mode with one touch, you can also transpose, erase, cut, and paste multiple notes/tracks.
With an on-screen instrument, a QWERTY keyboard, or Core MIDI compatible keyboard, you can quickly enter notes & chords in step entry mode. Record a part in real-time with on-screen instruments to transcribe into notation.
Versions 4 & 5 take greater advantage of the iPad touchscreen. With shortcuts and contextual menus to edit note & bar properties, many of the commonly used editing commands are right at your fingertips.
SP supports a wide range of notational elements for your composition. Including dynamics & articulations, time & key signature changes, clef changes, pedals, and repeat conventions. Edit chord symbols, lyrics, and annotations using the iPad’s standard keyboard.
EXPORT & SHARE
When you’re finished, print out your score with AirPrint, or export it as a PDF, MusicXML, AAC, MIDI, or Symphony file. Share files via email or directly to another computer or iPad via Dropbox/iCloud Drive.
• Introducing Handwriting Recognition for Apple Pencil & touch
• Starting Version 5, Handwriting is the only In-App Purchase to enable the complete app
• Now download SP on your iPhone
• 24+ professionally recorded and sound-designed acoustic instruments, free out of the box
Earlier features offered free, to existing & new owners
• 114 built-in instruments for playback, and auditioning the notes you entered
• Create in standard music notation or tablature
• Edit with an on-screen piano, QWERTY keyboard, or a MIDI input device
• Dozens of shortcuts & gestures to edit & navigate
• Reduce your score size, range, or combination of parts for viewing & editing*
• Print directly to AirPrint
• Up to 48 instruments, 100 staves, 4 voices/layers per score
• Record a part in real-time with clicks at the beat with optional emphasis
• Backup & sync your scores with iCloud*
• Import MusicXML, MIDI, MXL, or Symphony files
• Export as a PDF, MusicXML, MIDI, AAC, or Symphony file
• Large selection of articulations & dynamics
• Multi-measure rests, including automatic rests
• Grace notes
• Customizable noteheads & note colors
• Chord symbol, lyric, and annotation tools
• Edit the properties of multiple notes and rests simultaneously by multi-note select
• Copy/Paste function supports partial & multi-bar/staff select
• Unlimited undo/redo
• Customizable stem directions & note beaming
• Transposing & concert pitch score option
• Change tempo or clef anywhere in score or bar
• Stream audio or share your screen wirelessly with AirPlay
• Advanced document management
• Create your own custom project template or use a built-in one
• Customizable part groupings for SATB and instrument families
• Customizable chord symbol, lyric, and annotation font
• Loop playback feature
• Auto-save support
* Previously paid, but now free upgrade in Version 5
For More information, please visit:
• Facebook page at www.facebook.com/symphonyapp
• Learn about the iPhone-only app: bit.ly/symphonyiphone
- Fixes critical bug where app froze after selecting notes or working with any other selected score element
- General crash fixes
- In 6.1.9, there was substantial difficulty dragging to transpose one or more notes
- Fix bug where selected notes or cut/copy/paste menu items sometimes didn't appear
- Bug where slow performance, instability, and crashing can occur in the context of multiple selected notes, via the Note Selection Area
- In 6.0-6.1 and earlier, fix substantial slowdown in performance when copying and pasting a long passage (via the Region Selection Area), such as a sequence of ~100 or more notes
- (Ongoing) More intuitive Custom Tuplets function.
-- In particular, this function now makes it so that the full ratio that is inputted is reflected automatically in the notation
- Handwriting: when drawing, the application better detects when an input should be a pen mark, versus a touch interaction or long press to interact
- General bug and crash fixes
- Resolves issue introduced in previous update (6.1.8) when zooming the score
- MIDI Record improvements
- Improvements related to iOS 14:
-- Fixes interface layout issues (incorrect toolbar/window dimensions), including after launching app or adjusting screen orientation,
-- Note transpose options (8va, 8vb, etc.) such as transpose, cut/copy/paste, and other menu items appear when expected to after scrolling
- QWERTY keyboard improvements
- Note Adjust Menu: 'Cut/Copy Selected Notes' now works properly.
- Note transpose improvements via dragging vertically
- 'Initial metronome mark' (master tempo) setting is properly editable
- Multi-bar rests: layout and specification in the score is improved, including when multi-voice staffs and when individual parts were viewed or exported
- Ongoing improvements to 'Shift Notes..' option and when adding a note to an over-full bar
- In ‘Reflow’ Score view mode: Note Selection Area now allows for the selection of notes from a specific pitch range (vertical staff position) when dragging a rectangle across multiple lines. To specify such a range interactively, you can now vary the initial drag point and height of the rectangle when selecting notes across multiple lines.
- Improvements and bug fixes to MIDI Input and Output (live MIDI messages)
- MIDI Import/Export improvements
- Resolves an issue where window and/or toolbars had incorrect dimensions or were in some cases not visible when launching app or navigating between apps
- Resolves a Handwriting issue introduced in the previous update where it was not possible to draw on the canvas in Select or Write mode
- Fixes issues adjusting number picker (e.g. tempo) and accessing menu items
- Fixes bug where On-Screen Piano was unresponsive to multi-touch key presses
- Handwritten Annotations maintain their relative positioning and proportions more reliably when the layout of the score is modified
- Major bug fixes to the playback, editing, layout, and rendering of repeat signs, multiple repeats, and alternate endings
- Fixes issue where chord symbols, lyrics, and other text elements didn't autoscroll/navigate correctly to a different note/measure
- Improved chord symbol playback and handwriting recognition of chords
- More accurate translation of notes by specified time units when choosing the 'Shift Notes' menu item above the Note Input Cursor and when inserting a note in Write mode
- When repositioning or advancing the Note Input Cursor in Write mode within a bar, the cursor now navigates correctly to the adjacent note in cases where it previously jumped between non-adjacent notes
- Fixes recent bugs when pasting chord symbols, dynamics & articulations, and other Score Symbols.
Ratings and Reviews
Great program, but the touchscreen is very sensitive!
I have used Sibelius and Musescore, but can’t compare because Symphony Pro is on my iPad, and the other ones on a computer. But so far so good, and it has many excellent functions! The one big downside for me is the touchscreen is very sensitive, and I am always inadvertently changing work which is finished, as I navigate around the score, or edit other stuff. How to protect completed sections? Is there a button?
I have to agree with Harry. The idea is great, but execution is poor. I’ve been trying to get the hang of charting using the Apple Pencil, and it’s as twitchy as all get out. The whole pencil versus pointer modes seem hopelessly confused. I keep getting random articulations like staccato when I don’t want them. And it is super annoying that I can’t cross out something with the pencil. Some gestures have absurd sensitivity - I can’t calibrate my use of the pencil to figure out the overly fine difference between taps that select a not and taps that select a region. The whole thing is a frustrating kinaesthetic guessing game. After days of practice it can still take me over a minute to get one note as I want it. I don’t think the developers are using a broad enough testing group. Or even making sure they always test on completely novice users - they are supposed to be emulating a pencil after all. The expectation that we should not have to re-learn how to write on a staff with a pencil is not unreasonable.
It could be better
Honestly, this app has a lot of great ideas but lacks some key features. If the developers could allow touch input to be disabled in handwriting mode when using the Apple Pencil (or allow a setting to be change to make it like that), it would fix 90% of the problems. Handwriting recognition is fantastic (except I had some trouble with quarter note triplets), but the experience could be so much better if the screen didn’t randomly move around or if random dots weren’t drawn when touch input gets interpreted as a drawing input. The two finger drag to move the screen would not be necessary if you could disable handwriting with the finger. Palm blocking definitely needs some work though. I really hope the developers can tidy these things up as it would greatly improve my rating.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Xenon Labs, LLC
- 395.4 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires a Mac with Apple M1 chip and macOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Xenon Labs, LLC.
- In-App Purchases
- Handwriting Recognition Tool $22.99
- Version 4: Complete Features Bundle
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.