Teach Your Monster to Read is an award-winning phonics and reading game that’s helped millions of children learn to read.
• Parents have seen significant improvements in their children’s literacy within weeks.
• Teachers claim it’s a wonderful and captivating classroom tool that helps their students learn to read.
• Kids love making their monster and teaching it read. They learn through play.
Children create a monster and take it on a magical journey over three extensive games - meeting a host of colourful characters along the way and improving their reading skills as they progress.
• Covers the first two years of learning to read, from matching letters and sounds to enjoying little books.
• Designed in collaboration with leading academics and game designers.
• Complements all synthetic phonics programmes used in schools.
• Suitable for school and home use.
• Includes all 3 games! First Steps, Fun With Words and Champion Reader!
The game is rigorous and works with any phonics scheme so it’s perfect for use in school and at home. It’s developed in collaboration with leading academics at the University of Roehampton.
The app is commonly used in preschool, primary school, kindergarten and first grade as an interactive teaching resource.
PROCEEDS GO TO THE USBORNE FOUNDATION CHARITY
Teach Your Monster to Read has been created by Teach Monster Games Ltd. which is a subsidiary of The Usborne Foundation. The Usborne Foundation is a charity founded by children’s publisher, Peter Usborne MBE. Harnessing research, design and technology, we create playful media addressing issues from literacy to health. Funds raised from the game go back into the charity, to help us become sustainable and build new projects.
• Complements Phases 2-5 of UK Government-approved Letters and Sounds and other major systematic synthetic phonics programmes.
• Absolutely no in-app purchases, hidden costs or in-game adverts. Perfect for kids!
• Suitable for ages 3-6.
• Designed in collaboration with reading experts from Roehampton University.
• Available on iPad and iPhone.
REVIEWS FROM TEACHERS AND PARENTS
"This game is the absolute best quality phonics game I have come across for educational and fun value."
Marie Lewis, Rochdale
“My class have reaped loads of benefits from using the programme and the difference in some of their reading skills has been dramatic."
Maria Andrews, Foundation Phase Teacher
"This is a fabulous game. I'm not kidding when I say that my daughter essentially learned all her letter sounds using First steps, with relatively minimal input from me! Great for parents to practise their letter sounds too."
Teach Monster Games Ltd is a subsidiary of The Usborne Foundation, a registered charity in England and Wales, charity number 1121957.
We've made some improvements based on your feedback. Please keep your reviews coming. We read every one!
• A glistening trophy icon will magically appear on your dashboard when you've achieved a new certificate!
• The way the game exits when the app is closed has been improved. It's now easier to continue where you left off if you've only exited the app for a few moments.
• Small bugs have been blasted away!
We love to read your success stories and we want to know what you’d like added to the game, so please leave a review. We are a charity with a mission to improve children's literacy, so we want to make this game as great as it can possibly be.
Ratings and Reviews
Class teachers love it.
I am the computer teacher at a school and have introduced this game to students from Kindergarten to reluctant year 4 readers. I have used both the app and the website. The students love it and the teachers love the results.
Developer Response ,
It's great to hear how the game has helped both Kindergarten and older reluctant readers alike. We're so pleased that both the students and the teachers love the game for it's mix of fun and educational results. Thank you! :)
Works perfectly for little readers
Both my 4 & 6 year olds love this app.
It has helped reinforce school taught reading techniques for my eldest, and provided an entry point for my youngest, who after a few months of having this app is now reading introductory reading books borrowed from a primary school.
More importantly then this however, is the fact they both love reading and this app has played a part in fostering that.
Developer Response ,
It's great to hear that the app is reinforcing what your children are learning at school in a fun and engaging way! We're so pleased it's helping them earn to read. Thanks for the review, Alex
Fantastic app HOWEVER downloaded on all our school iPads but it won’t let the kids log in due to proxy issue. App won’t allow auto proxy yet we (like most schools using an MDM) must use auto proxy settings due to our caching server. This is poor programming on the developer’s part and the only app we have ever had this issue with. Please update the app to allow auto proxy!!!
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the email. We're pleased the app is being enjoyed. Did you know you can create monsters (players) on the app itself, meaning there's no need for the app to be connected to the internet and no need to log in? Regarding logging in, connecting to the internet to do this and proxies, the app works well on most school connections but unfortunately not all proxies can be facilitated. If you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with details about your proxy then we'll keep the details on file for if we're able to allow your proxy it at a later date.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.