Terminology is a browser for the English language – part dictionary, part thesaurus and part research tool. Terminology makes it easy to explore words and phrases, diving down to more and less specific terms - accessing the web and other apps for more detail and sharing.
More than a dictionary, Terminology can be extended with custom actions to search the Internet and other reference apps – making it a great place to start all your searches.
Use the share extension to select text anywhere, in any app, and look it up in Terminology.
### Dictionary, Thesaurus & Search
- Offline U.S. English dictionary and word reference with simple clear definitions.
- Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and deeper word relations such as: more and less specific words, part, part of, members, member of, pertains to and more.
- Favorite terms.
- Word browsing history.
- Add your own notes to any term.
- Audio pronunications.
- Wildcard (?,*) searching.
- Spelling suggestions.
- Fast, reliable, iCloud (CloudKit) sync and backup of history, favorites, notes and actions.
- Term of the day.
### Extensible Actions
Actions provide quick links to lookup and search your terms on websites and in other apps. Ready to use actions for popular reference sites like Wikipedia, Dictionary.com, Google, IMDb, Snopes and more, or create your own with simple URL templates.
### All the Latest Technologies
- Share extension lets you access Terminology from a text selection in any app.
- Today widget for quick access.
- 3D Touch support.
- iPad Multitasking/Split View support.
- Spotlight and Handoff support.
### More Features
- Extensive support for URL scheme integration via x-callback-url. Visit our website for details.
- Great support for Accessibility features like VoiceOver and Dynamic Text.
### About the Dictionary
- Terminology's offline dictionary is based on the latest 3.1 version of the Princeton University WordNet project and contains U.S. English words.
We love to hear your feedback, please contact us.
Fix for display issue with some dynamic type sizes and for issue tapping word links.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Just reading a couple of the previous reviews where they are accusing the developer of being dodgy etc because they are too stingy to pay less than ½ a single cup of coffee to unlock the new (and much improved) version of the app.
This is the developer who created Drafts one of my favourite apps on iOS and now on MacOS. Dodgy couldn’t be further from the truth.
I’ve been using Terminology since Day 1 and love it.
Next time I’m buying a cup of coffee I will think of what a great value this app is 😏
Changes the way I write on iPad
With iOS 11, Terminology comes into it’s own. On an iPad Pro I have it side by side with my writing app and look up words as I go, or have it as a third window off screen that I slide into view when needed. Very nice.
This app is the beginning of something great. It’s annoying, though, that it takes two presses to start a new search from a previous search. That baffles me, everything else is so well thought out. It’s worrying that the developer misses that. Otherwise, awesome.
I’m looking forward to digging into the extensible options to see what else it can do for me.
In-app ad shakedown
App was a paid ad-free app, developer updated to include in-app advertising that is distasteful and intrusive. Requires in-app purchase to remove advertising. Effecting a shakedown of existing purchasers of their old app in order to force a paid upgrade to a new version is a 🍆 move (Tried to use Terminology to find an appropriately descriptive word here but couldn't bear using it after fourth full screen ad). I'm looking for an alternative paid-app where the developer treats customers better.
- Agile Tortoise
- 75.7 MB
Requires iOS 13.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2010-2019 by Agile Tortoise, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Pro $2.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.