The foremost field guide to Australian birds is now available on the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad with a comprehensive collection of bird calls.
** If you would like to experience the app check out The Michael Morcombe eGuide to the Birds of Australia LITE which is FREE and includes 59 species **
Michael Morcombe’s Field Guide to Australian Birds has been called the most comprehensive field guide to Australian birds in the market today and now it is perfectly complimented by the eGuide which features:
● iPhone optimised controls – swipe to next or previous species, one-tap enlargement of an image and rotate the device (landscape) to enlarge an image completely (and fit the width of the screen).
● Over 3000 hi-res bird images covering over 790 bird species.
● Most bird species have a detailed distribution map showing any subspecies that occur.
● Detailed text descriptions of almost all bird species including songs and calls, measurements and breeding behaviour.
● Over 1800 carefully-selected and edited sound recordings for over 600 species. Many species are represented with multiple call examples showing the full range of vocalizations.
● The ability to compare any two images, maps, or sounds, side by side on the screen. The ability to filter by geographic location, so that you see only the species likely to occur in your location, and to further reduce the possibilities to usual or vagrant species in the selected area.
● A “Smart Search” that gives the ability to search by distinguishing features such as size, colour, physical features, habitat and exclude certain types of birds (eg. Passerines).
● A basic personal species list that stores your sightings saved to the device* (ability to upload list coming soon)
● A comprehensive help and introduction section to help you if you get stuck or don’t understand how a certain feature works.
*Uninstalling/reinstalling the program will result in the loss of your list, it is recommended that you keep your own backup (master list) separate from the application.
We invite all users to share their comments and ideas on our forum at www.mydigitalearth.com
NB. This Application WILL ONLY work on an iPhone or iPod Touch running iOS V7.1 or higher NOT A NORMAL IPOD CLASSIC/NANO and the download is about 320MB.
Fixed a bug that caused the app to crash after selecting certain species.
Updated app to latest iOS guidelines.
Ratings and Reviews
Absolutely fantastic! Better than many of my bird books
Incredibly helpful illustrations showing birds of different ages/seasons/sexes. Beautiful illustrations and great feature of having bird calls and a map. The best and only bird app I need.
I just got a new phone and was wondering if this app can transfer bird lists between phones.
Inexperienced bird watcher is astounded!
I know very little about birds and often struggle (to the point of defeat) when I try and look them up in my bird book. Frequently it becomes an exercise in page turning.
I splashed out on this app because of the reviews by people who seemed to know what they were talking about and I am absolutely rapt in my decision. The other reviews will give people with some bird knowledge what they need to know but if you're like me then I'll summarise why I am so happy that I bought this app.
1) The search function. Wow, this pretty much fixed my problem with finding birds. You can put in your location, size of bird, beak shapes, colours and other characteristics and it gives you a short list of candidates. I found on a recent camping trip that so long as I could get a few significant features then could usually identify the bird. Then I could bookmark it.
2) The pictures look like the birds. I know that this might sound odd to people who know their birds but I have looked at some bird books and never been sure.
3) The sounds of the calls. I originally didn't understand how useful this was until I had a couple of birds that looked similar. I played the calls and thought "aaah, that's why he put them in" as I confirmed the identity of the bird I was looking up.
4) Information provided is interesting and sufficient. He doesn't rabbit on in his descriptions. He tells you something interesting about the bird.
I highly recommend this.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Cool Ideas LLC
- 471.7 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Cool Ideas LLC
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.