Touch Notation is a powerful musical score creation app that allows anyone to enjoy writing music using touch gestures.
In Japan, Touch Notation was selected as one of the ‘App Store Best of 2014’ apps, and held the No.1 spot in the iPad Paid App index for music apps for over two weeks.
Touch Notation is available in free and full versions, allowing musicians to experience most of the app’s features at no cost.
Up until now, musical score creation software has relied upon dragging individual notes from a palette onto staves. By contrast, Touch Notation allows musicians to draw directly onto the score using a finger or touch pen, and have their work immediately appear as beautifully written notation, then played back using the app’s 30 built-in instrument voices.
- A wide-range of functions accessible from a cleanly designed, intuitive user interface.
- Ability to enter musical expressions for adjusting tempo and dynamics.
- Convenient transpose feature for raising/lowering the pitch of the entire score.
- Output scores using Air Print, or save to Dropbox in PDF, SMF, MusicXML, and ScoreMaker formats.
Touch Notation allows the following musical symbols to be entered by hand:
- Note, Rest (including dotted and double-dotted), Long Rest, Beam, Tuplet (Triplet)
- Grace Note
- Accidental, Tie, Slur
- Accent, Staccato, Tenuto, Fermata
- Trill, sfz, Arpeggio, Pedal, Senza
- Metronome symbol
- Crescendo, Decrescendo
- Dynamics symbols (ppp~fff)
- Octave symbol
- Repeat brackets
- Repeat marks (D.C./Fine/D.S./Segno/Coda/to Coda)
- Clefs (Treble Clef/Bass Clef/C Clef/Percussion Clef)
- Key signature
- Time signature
- Bar lines (repeat marks)
Other musical expressions (‘Dolce’, ‘Tranquillo’, etc.) can be added using text input, while comments and memos can also be written freehand directly onto the score.
* Entering rhythm notation, tab notation etc. is not supported.
* Older devices may experience stuttering when playing complicated scores with many simultaneous notes. Users are recommended to test the free version of Touch Notation in order to assess the app’s performance on their device.
Added link to an online video on the handwriting input page.
(This countermeasure is necessary, as the videos embedded into the help pages no longer play on iOS 12.2 or later.)
Ratings and Reviews
No Transpose function
Hi, I was a bit disappointed that it hasn’t got a function that can transpose the entire score. I have to select section and transpose to another key bit by bit. also it quite often when I try to draw a sharp, the drawing disappear too quickly before I can complete my drawing.
TAB LINE FOR GUITAR
It's not a bad app, still I hope if they upgrade in the future. They should add a TAB line for a guitar and other related string instruments
The Best Notation App
This is app has helped me heaps with my music writing, and its so convenient! I love how I can listen to my creations as well! This is by far the best notation app I have found, and its totally worth it.
- Kawai Musical Instruments Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
- 122.1 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2014-2019 Kawai Musical Instruments Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Chord Name & Automatic Accompaniment $7.99
- Sound Set: Full $7.99
- Handwritten Font $4.49
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.