Touch Notation is a powerful musical score creation app that allows anyone to enjoy writing music using touch gestures.
In Japan, Touch Notation was selected as one of the ‘App Store Best of 2014’ apps, and held the No.1 spot in the iPad Paid App index for music apps for over two weeks.
Up until now, musical score creation software has relied upon dragging individual notes from a palette onto staves. By contrast, Touch Notation allows musicians to draw directly onto the score using a finger or touch pen, and have their work immediately appear as beautifully written notation, then played back using the app’s 30 built-in instrument voices.
- A wide-range of functions accessible from a cleanly designed, intuitive user interface.
- Ability to enter musical expressions for adjusting tempo and dynamics.
- Layout functions such as page breaks.
- Convenient transpose feature for raising/lowering the pitch of the entire score.
- Output scores using Air Print, or save to Dropbox in PDF, SMF, MusicXML, and ScoreMaker formats.
Touch Notation allows the following musical symbols to be entered by hand:
- Note, Rest (including dotted and double-dotted), Long Rest, Beam, Tuplet (Triplet)
- Grace Note
- Accidental, Tie, Slur
- Accent, Staccato, Tenuto, Fermata
- Trill, sfz, Arpeggio, Pedal, Senza
- Metronome symbol
- Crescendo, Decrescendo
- Dynamics symbols (ppp~fff)
- Octave symbol
- Repeat brackets
- Repeat marks (D.C./Fine/D.S./Segno/Coda/to Coda)
- Clefs (Treble Clef/Bass Clef/C Clef/Percussion Clef)
- Key signature
- Time signature
- Bar lines (repeat marks)
Lyrics and other musical expressions (‘Dolce’, ‘Tranquillo’, etc.) can be added using text input, while comments and memos can also be written freehand directly onto the score.
* Drum notation is supported, but other types such as rhythm notation and tab notation are not supported.
* Older devices may experience stuttering when playing complicated scores with many simultaneous notes.
- Fixed a bug that the size of the file created by PDF export may become abnormally large.
- Fixed an issue where natural input might be mistaken for lyrics input.
- Various other bugs fixed.
Ratings and Reviews
No Transpose function
Hi, I was a bit disappointed that it hasn’t got a function that can transpose the entire score. I have to select section and transpose to another key bit by bit. also it quite often when I try to draw a sharp, the drawing disappear too quickly before I can complete my drawing.
TAB LINE FOR GUITAR
It's not a bad app, still I hope if they upgrade in the future. They should add a TAB line for a guitar and other related string instruments
The Best Notation App
This is app has helped me heaps with my music writing, and its so convenient! I love how I can listen to my creations as well! This is by far the best notation app I have found, and its totally worth it.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Kawai Musical Instruments Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
- 117.4 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2014-2021 Kawai Musical Instruments Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Chord Name & Automatic Accompaniment $7.99
- Sound Set: Full $7.99
- Handwritten Font $4.49
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.