Typist is a typing tutor, which helps you in learning touch typing.
If you have never taken any lessons in typing before, please be patient.
Typing is not difficult but it does take a lot of practice. Avoid the tendency to look down at your fingers while typing. This is a very bad habit and is hard to break later. It may be slower when you first start. But, touch typing is far faster once you get the hang of it.
Course T is recommended to beginners. If you have experience in typing, Course Q or S may be good for you.
Select a course, and exercise!!
Bug Fix: Version 3.0.0 didn't work in Yosemite, El Capitan and other earlier operating systems.
In Typist Version 3.0.0 (Nov. 2018), dark mode for macOS 10.14 Mojave is added. Some functions are also added for Japanese exercises. Besides, a few errors in the text were corrected.
Ratings and Reviews
This is a really good app for people who would like to start touch-typing. It's user interface is not the best but it gets the job done. It can be a bit frustrating at times when they make you double space (I'm only used to one) and you can't backspace but overall this app comes highly recommended.
P.s to the developer: I would pay to see an upgraded/better app! It's really awesome! Thx
The best typing app for Mac.
This little app is my favourite free Mac app of all time! It features well-designed execises that remind me of drills or scales that people use to increase their finger dexterity on a piano. Don’t be put off by its basic interface and the simple instructions set out in Courier font. I’ve always typed very quickly but I like doing these drills from time to time to increase my accuracy and speed when I’ve let lazy typing habits get the better of me (and most autocorrect settings are the worst enablers!). You don’t have to start at the very basic exercises - you can go staight to speed and accuracy exercises.
This is a very good app, great for the beginner. It’s also very good for older people that want to learn, it’s simple and easy to follow.
At the start of May 2015, I started practicing everyday, many days up to 10 hours a day. I am determinded to as good as I can.
I’m halfway through the course for a fifth time.
* It’s free! Bonus.
* Focus on not making any mistakes, this will be very beneficial in the long run.
* Some reviews have claimed that there is no backspace option. This is not true. There are lessons where you have the option of using delete/backspace. I don’t use it as I don’t want to make mistakes in the first place, you'll be a better typist for it.
* Don’t worry about speed, it will improve as you practice and type without errors.
* When you make mistakes, the sound it makes is not annoying like some courses I’ve tried. You'll appreciated it.
* Don’t just do a paragraph once. Do it over and over, even if you’ve made no errors. This will be beneficial in the long run.
* Stick at it, as touch typing is a quality skill to possess. There will be days you won’t want to practice or you are having a bad practice session. These are the best days to keep at it.
* One review claims that they have to double space after every word. Well, if you go to typist preferences ( I have a MacBook Pro ) you can choose one or two spacings.
* Focus on staying relaxed. It helps a lot.
* Don’t negelct the numbers and symbols lessons. Put effort into numbers and symbols and you will reap the rewards.
* Don’t make mistakes..
* Pratice makes perfect.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.