Use our awesome bilingual dictionaries to look up words and interact with video subtitles and web pages. Our dictionaries are free, work offline and have no ads!
The best way to become fluent in a language is to watch authentic shows and videos created for native speakers. Woodpecker is an app filled with learning tools that let you do this FOR FREE!
Practice commonly used vocabulary, tones and accents while watching a huge library of popular shows from all over the world. Immerse yourself in thousands of movies, TV shows, interviews and presentations and if you aren’t sure of any words you come across, just tap on the subtitle for immediate definitions in your own language.
Our bilingual dictionaries also work with web pages as well as video subtitles. Just touch on a word in our web browser and the popup box will appear with the definition in your own language.
• A movie or video playing in Woodpecker can have two subtitle streams running simultaneously. For instance, one in English and one in Chinese.
• Touch on a word in a subtitle stream to see the possible meanings in your language. Touch on a word or character in your own language to get the definition in the language you are learning
• To improve your listening power you can replay a single sentence or go back five seconds to repeat content.
• More than 450 YouTube channels with English language audio and subtitles are available. Many of these channels also upload subtitle streams in other languages. We have more than 80 YouTube channels with Mandarin language audio and Chinese subtitles. For Spanish learners, we have over 200 channels and playlists with Spanish audio and subtitles.
• We also show the YouTube channels of many popular English teachers.
• A list of the videos you've watched and the words/characters that you've touched can be seen in the history tabs.
We support English speakers learning Mandarin and Spanish. We support speakers of Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Vietnamese learning English.
Ratings and Reviews
Great videos for learning a new language
Fast & clean
Really easy to navigate, love that I can save words. Even reminded me to download a dictionary app which I need! Really enjoying the link to TEDX and other great links, finally an interesting language learning experience. Absolutely 5 star.
Good videos 😃
Is very useful to use learning English! Very many good shows.
- Woodpecker Learning Limited
- 43.1 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this application.
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour
- Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Unrestricted Web Access
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- © 2019 Woodpecker Learning Limited
- In-App Purchases
- Woodpecker Web Browser $22.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.