FEATURES that make WordBook stand out from other dictionary apps:
- Professionally recorded pronunciation for every single entry
- Word origin information (Etymologies)
- Built-in spell checker with pop-up spelling suggestions
- User's bookmark and note management
- Unmatched sounds-like and wild card search and a powerful word puzzle solver
WordBook is a comprehensive, quick and intuitive dictionary and thesaurus of the English language. It's a great combination of comprehensive contents and fast intuitive interface.
* 150,000 entries with more than 220,000 definitions, 70,000 usage samples
* 23,000 root word origins (etymologies)
* 120,000 pronunciation guides in International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) and other notations
* Spoken pronunciations (for all entries)
* Built-in thesaurus and word links connecting words semantically
* Unmatched index, wildcard, anagram search capabilities
* Bookmark (with user's notes) and history management
* Words of the Day: you get to learn new words daily, shake the device for new random words
* Browser-like definition content navigation, ability to tap on any word in the content to look up its definition
* Extending up to 5 web dictionaries to supplement built-in contents
* High resolution graphics for Retina display
* “the best in the [inexpensive dictionary] category... This wealth of information is indispensable to the student, and even fun to use” - Jeff Phillips, Macworld
* “One of 15 Best iPhone Apps for English Majors” - April Lentini, CollegeTimes.us
* “None measure up to WordBook” Score: 10/10 - Michael Alexander, AppCraver.com
* “WordBook leads the parade of free and low-cost dictionary options” - Ben Boychuk, MacWorld.com
* “WordBook's iPhone dictionary - the standard for reference apps” Rating: 5/5 - Steven Yaccino, appolicious.com
- WordBook does not required an internet connection except to view web dictionaries or to play online pronunciation voices.
- WordBook includes entries of both American/British spellings. Definitions are written in American English.
- Supports iOS 11 and iPhone X
Ratings and Reviews
For everyday usage, it's a good and convenient dictionary but occasionally falls short by not knowing some more obscure words, in which case I resort to another online dictionary eg. Google, etc.
Where would I be without WordBook
I have had WordBook for years - it's on my iPhone & iPad and I was delighted when it was developed for the Mac. For my work in research and report writing it is invaluable. In my day to day personal tasks, emails etc it is one of the most useful apps.
The lookup is great, as is the dictionary. I mostly use the thesaurus so as not to repeat the same words in documents and reports, but the integrated web lookup is also very useful.
WordBook sits in the dock of all my devices for instant access. Thanks TranCreative for years of professional development - I'm sure I had this application in my iPAQ Pocket PC many moons ago. Sensational app!!!
Best dictionary AND thesaurus app
This is my only go-to app. I have it next to me while I'm reading, & will often use when I'm helping the kids with homework or writing a CV (which I was doing for me two teen boys), mostly for the thesaurus. Love it!
- TranCreative Software
- 25.6 MB
Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour
- © 2015 TranCreative LLC
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.