Now supports the Always on Display!
WorkOutDoors is the most advanced and most configurable workout app for the Apple Watch. It's perfect for running, cycling, hiking and any other indoor or outdoor activity.
Note: WorkOutDoors requires an Apple Watch Series 3 or later. It is not necessary to have your iPhone with you during a workout.
- 42 different activity types, including all the major activities
- Configure multiple screens with metrics from a pool of over 600 data fields and graphs
- All workouts are saved to Apple's Health system and are viewable in the Health & Fitness apps
- Export workouts as FIT/TCX/GPX files, or automatically upload to Strava (even from the watch)
- Dozens of alert types (e.g. mile/km notifications; high heart rate; low speed; zone changes etc)
- Configure which metrics are displayed and/or spoken for an alert
- GPS signal strength shown before starting a workout, so you can wait for a good signal
- Create your own Interval Schedules: e.g. Warm Up for 5 minutes, Run 5 miles; Cool Down
- Supports Bluetooth sensors for speed, cadence, distance, heart rate & power (including Stryd)
- Zones can be configured for heart rates and also for pace and power metrics
- Associate actions with gestures: e.g. double tap to start a new interval, or to show music controls
- Auto-pause available for many outdoor activities (including Apple's algorithm where available)
- Set a Target Pace and see how far ahead or behind you are (can show a target icon on the map)
- Analyse workouts in great depth on the iPhone app, including detailed lap and interval splits
- Supports watchOS 9 running metrics: power, ground contact time and vertical oscillation (only available on recent models of watch).
- Maps can be cached on the watch for use when offline
- Topographic vector map option with configurable contours and hill shading
- Maps can be smoothly panned and zoomed, and can rotate according to the compass
- Map-only mode for when you don't want to start a workout and just need a map
- Uses OpenStreetMap, which includes the trails necessary for outdoor workouts
- Maps cover the whole world. No further purchases or subscriptions required for anything
- A breadcrumb trail of your whole route is displayed on the map during the workout
- A scale is shown on the map when you zoom, making it easy to see the distance to features
- Load GPX routes and display them on top of the map to aid navigation
- Routes are coloured by gradient: from red for steep uphill to blue for steep downhill
- Get alerts when you deviate from or return to the GPX route
- Waypoints in routes are shown as icons (supports "groundspeak" geocache data)
- Shows a red compass pointing north and a green compass pointing to the start
- Tap the green compass to see the distance to the start (double tap a compass to hide it)
- "Smart Contours" use different colours to make it easier to read the terrain at a glance
The app also has many, many more features (far too many to list here!).
All this is included for a single one-off payment. There are no extra in-app purchases or subscriptions. If you own an Apple Watch and do any form of exercise, then WorkOutDoors is the app for you. Give it a go!
- New activity: Table Tennis
- It's now possible to change road text size as well as POI size on maps
- Bug fixes
Note: This version does not work on the Apple Watch Series 1 and 2 models.
Ratings and Reviews
Best running app for Apple Watch
I installed this app two days ago and have been amazed at the unmatched customisation within the app for every bit of data you could think of. I have used it multiple so far and nothing comes close to the amount of data available to display. Just a few suggestions for further development: ability to completely turn off or on the notifications for ‘target pace’ (e.g in running pop ups will come up - ‘fast pace’ or ‘slow pace’), ability to turn on or off constant heart rate tracking, ability to create a pre-scheduled workout on the watch in case you don’t have your phone, and to create multiple notifications in the pre scheduled workouts e.g one beep at 20 seconds and another at 25 seconds. This is without a doubt the best running app, and with these few more features it’s everything I could possibly ask for. Great job!
Almost there… frustratingly buggy
Was really hoping this app would be the game changer for recording my run workouts on my Apple Watch 7, especially since I assumed a paid app would be more refined than some of the free alternatives (Strava, Apple Workout, etc) but after using it exclusively for several months I’m beginning to lose patience. On the plus side I like how customizable it is, and the maps are kinda cute (but of limited utility on a small watch screen). My biggest complaint is the app randomly ends my workout during a session with no warning. And the double button pause function is erratic, and often accompanied by a voice Pinot saying my working is over (even when the time continues to show the workout is still active). This leads to some real frustration when I’m trying to focus on my training instead of constantly worrying whether this app will randomly decide to end my workouts. Hopefully this will get fixed in a future release. But for the time being, save your money and look elsewhere!
Developer Response ,
Sorry that you are having problems. There must be a reason why the workout is ending when you don’t expect. Have you maybe configured a shortcut to end the workout? The Shake shortcut maybe? Or have you configured the “Possibly Travelling Home” alert to end the workout when you reach a relatively slow speed? If that doesn’t explain it then please contact email@example.com.
What a runner needs
This is the app that serious runners need on the Apple Watch - so much data and so much configuration. It turns the Apple Watch into a serious Garmin competitor - especially when paired with the series 4 watch. The only suggestion I have would be to allow customizable pre-configured intervals. With my running group we run to a meeting point, do an interval session/Fartlek, then run back to our workplaces. Ideally you could launch a start interval x program that would guide you through the session (just copy the functionality of the interval app and you will be fine) and would track that as three workouts. Keep up the good work!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ian Muriss
- 29.1 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2023 Computer Client Services Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Tip $1.99
- Generous Tip $2.99
- Massive Tip $14.99
- Fanatical Tip $29.99
- Very Generous Tip $7.99