Experience Anzac history brought to life in this interactive documentary detailing the Battle of Beersheba and its pivotal role in the Middle Eastern Theatre of WW1. Watch the battle unfold, narrated by Richard Roxburgh, explore the battlefield in 3D, dioramas and a wealth of other resources to gain a rich understanding of these remarkable events.
This app was produced by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation and the Department of Veterans’ Affairs, and is the follow up to the award-winning apps Gallipoli: the first day, The Battles of Fromelles and Pozières, and Battles of Third Ypres, in the Days in Conflict series.
- The day of battle narrated by Richard Roxburgh. Accurate, interactive 3D map space of Beersheba and surrounds, pinpointing events across both battles and providing context.
- 4 detailed dioramas give insight into aspects of the battlefield - explore Beersheba’s town square as it appeared in 1917, the role of signals intelligence, an Ottoman front line trench and the bond between Light Horse troopers and their horses.
- Models of military hardware showcasing the technology available to the opposing armies.
- Audio performances of diaries, letters, poems and reports bring the poignant experiences to life.
- Archival photographs and videos, military trees detailing some of the thousands of soldiers who fought on the day and illustrate what life was like at the time.
- Achievements for using the app allow you to record your progress through the depth of content.
Education resources linking app content to Year 9 of the Australian History Curriculum, available in the app’s menu under “Settings and More Apps.”
Ratings and Reviews
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation
- 777.4 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.