Watch live TV, right next to your apps. Channels lets you play, pause, and rewind local or cable TV directly on your Apple TV with your HDHomeRun TV tuner.
If you are a Channels Plus subscriber with DVR Service, search for the free app: Channels: Whole Home DVR.
Channels requires an HDHomeRun networked TV tuner to watch live TV on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. Learn more about how this works below.
• Pause, rewind, and fast forward live TV
• Guide Data
• Full grid guide
• Full HD streaming (bandwidth permitting)
• 5.1 Surround Sound
• Closed captioning
• Full support for VoiceOver
• Channel favoriting
• Jump back to last channel
• Auto Discovery
• Browse what's on other channels while watching TV
• Manage your HDHomeRun devices from Channels
"If you’re a cord cutter, then Channels coupled with an HDHomeRun and antenna is one of the best purchases you can make." — 9to5mac
"If live television has been a missing or irritating-to-use piece for your viewing pleasure, Channels plus a networked tuner pulls it neatly into your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad." — Macworld
Channels requires modern iOS devices and 802.11AC wireless for HD streaming. But as usual, your milage may vary.
Supported devices: All iOS devices with an A7 chip and up.
Note: Channels does not support Picture in Picture mode on the iPad or AirPlay on any device due to the video format provided by the HDHomeRun tuners. This is an iOS limitation.
-- Why Use Channels? --
Channels is the missing piece of your puzzle. If you already watch everything through streaming apps, Channels lets you finally watch sports, award shows, local news, and other live events on your same device.
• Watch live primetime TV, local news, and sports on your Apple TV.
• Netflix, Hulu, Movies, Games, AirPlay, and now live TV on the same device.
• Already using antenna for live TV? Channels lets you use one antenna to watch TV on all the devices in your home.
• Want sports on your porch? News in the kitchen? Channels lets you watch these anywhere in the home. Let your TV watching follow you around the house.
-- How Does It Work? --
An HDHomeRun is a simple TV tuner that can broadcast television over your home network. Channels streams that video directly to your device.
1. Plug an HD antenna or your cable into your HDHomeRun.
2. Plug your HDHomeRun into your router.
3. Watch live TV via the Channels app.
-- How Do You Use It? --
Here's some protips on how to get the most out of Channels.
• Pick your favorite channels by selecting your HDHomeRun device in the Settings tab and tapping on a channel.
• See quickly what’s currently on your favorite channels with the On Now tab.
• Tap on a channel to view more info about it (or just 3D Touch it).
• Live TV buffer works for ~90 mins or less depending on how much storage is available on your device.
• Skip ahead 30s by swiping right. Skip back 7s by swiping left.
• Double-tap with 2 fingers to switch to the previous channel.
• Swipe up/down on the Quick Guide to see what else is on your favorite channels. Tap it to change to that channel.
-- HDHomeRun Device Support --
All HDHomeRun devices are supported by Channels.
• HDHomeRun PRIME
• HDHomeRun EXTEND
• HDHomeRun EXPAND
• HDHomeRun CONNECT
• HDHomeRun CONNECT DUO
• HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO
• HDHomeRun DUAL
• HDHomeRun ORIGINAL (blue and white tuners)
Learn more about HDHomeRun tuners on silicondust.com. Simply plug a compatible tuner into your home network router and start watching Live TV with Channels today!
• DRM protected streams are *not* currently supported.
• Channels does *not* work outside of your home. It only works when connected to the same network as your HDHomeRun Device
For questions, concerns, bug reports, and feature requests, contact us on twitter @getchannels or via email email@example.com. You can talk about everything Channels on our community site at: https://community.getchannels.com.
• IMPROVED: Support for iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max
• IMPROVED: Better handling of timeline while in audio only mode on iOS
• IMPROVED: Better handling of Start From Beginning button on iOS
• FIXED: Search was broken when editing your query
** New in version 5.5.1 **
• FIXED: Some channels were causing framedrops
** New in version 5.5.0 **
• NEW: New options to define what happens when you tune into a Virtual Channel: Start Live, Start From Beginning, Ask, or the new inline Start From Beginning -utton
• NEW: New resume option for resuming recordings: In Player Prompt - This will auto resume your recording, with a button then offering you the ability to start -rom the beginning.
• NEW: Settings added to decide if the Timeline should show when seeking. Set it specifically for Movies, Sports, and everything else.
• NEW: Future Virtual Channel airings on the Guide now offer a Watch button which tunes into the channel starting at that point.
• NEW: Rename what the client is displayed as. Edit the name in the app or in your Channels DVR Server web admin. Settings > General > Display Name
• NEW: Added Recently Watched to the All TV Shows view
• NEW: Watch > Random - Channels will choose a random episode of a show and play continuously in order
• NEW: Refresh Metadata option available for recordings/movies in context menu
• NEW: Hide or allow specific movies or TV shows by labels from the server
• NEW: Hardware is now the default mode under Settings > Playback > Advanced > Deinterlacing Mode
• NEW: The experimental video driver is now the default. The previous default has been renamed to Legacy.
• IMPROVED: Virtual Channel will advance to next episode when fast-forwarding past the end of the current airing
• IMPROVED: The Quick Guide will match the currently playing airing when the channel has been timeshifted
• IMPROVED: When switching playback speed, the current setting is focused by default and checked
• IMPROVED: Virtual channels will not cause the timeline to appear when switching to next airing
• IMPROVED: Use the Play button on your TV remote to launch player immediately when focused on a future Virtual Channel guide airing
• IMPROVED: Pressing play when playback has failed while watching Live TV causes the connection to be re-established
• IMPROVED: Player controls no longer appear when seeking with the keyboard on an iPad
• IMPROVED: API for channel up/down will now page up/down on the guide, to allow custom API based remote controls to function the same way as bluetooth and IR remotes
• IMPROVED: Support WMA audio
• FIXED: Duration wasn’t showing for Movies
• FIXED: Sidebar would animate funny when re-opening the app
• FIXED: Guide would not focus on the correct channel while using Picture in PictureFIXED: On Later on iOS would not render correctly randomly
• FIXED: On Later on iOS would not render correctly randomly
• FIXED: Match Content for Live TV setting was not available for non DVR users
• FIXED: Videos were showing in the Enhanced Browsing TV section under Recently Watched and Recently Aired
• FIXED: Clicking back in the Resume dialog was not working
• FIXED: In-progress recordings were able to be played faster than 1x
• FIXED: Scrubbing towards end of episode would be interrupted by Watch Next button
• FIXED: Player controls could not be immediatly dismissed after seeking on iOS
• FIXED: Screensaver would never appear after player errored out
• FIXED: Movie details could sometimes be incorrect
• FIXED: When watching a virtual channel, the Quick Guide and timeline had the wrong information about when the next airing would start
• FIXED: When pausing for a while, the program info on the Timeline would disappear
• FIXED: DVR library would fail to load if invalid strm files were present
• FIXED: Imported .strm playback was not showing duration in player timeline
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Fancy Bits, LLC
- 112.9 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2020 Fancy Bits, LLC