Bear is a focused, flexible notes app used by writers, lawyers, chefs, teachers, engineers, students, parents and more! Bear has quick organisation, editing tools, and export options to help you write quickly and share anywhere and preserve your privacy with encryption.
2017 Apple Design Award
App Store App of the Year 2016
“My journaling app of choice is Bear” - Kit Eaton, New York Times
*WRITE YOUR WAY* with flexible yet simple tools
- Tools stay out of your way so you can just write
- **NEW** Encrypt individual notes and lock Bear with Face/Touch ID (Bear Pro required. Learn more below)
- Easily create notes with Siri and iOS Shortcuts
- Use Apple Watch to dictate and append to recent notes
- Pick from over a dozen themes for the perfect writing space (requires Bear Pro. Learn more below)
- Support for sketching, drawing, and Apple Pencil (and other styli)
- Grab images, text, files, and clip web pages with Bear’s app extension
*ORGANIZE QUICKLY* with tasks and #tags
- Add #tags, #multi-word tags# and even #multiple/nested/tags anywhere in a note for quick organization
- Add tasks to notes to stay on track
- Archive notes to keep them around, but out of your way
- Use Cross-Note Links to build a body of work, reference other notes, and more
- Pick custom icons to help important tags stand out in the Sidebar
- Use emoji autocomplete to add style to your tasks, journals, headings, and more
- Multiple export options including HTML, PDF, DOCX, MD, JPG, EPUB, and TextBundle (some export options require Bear Pro)
- Copy part of a note in a variety of formats to paste elsewhere
- Easily share your notes to any third party app including Wordpress, Mail, Sparkle, etc...
*SEARCH ALL THE THINGS*
- Use Spotlight to search your notes from anywhere
- Quickly find what you need with keyword highlights
- Focus on specific types of notes with powerful Search Triggers. Try @task to find all notes with todos.
*USE IT EVERYWHERE* with sync in Bear Pro
- Sync your notes between Mac, iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch
- Notes sync via iCloud, not our servers
- A single in-app subscription works across all your devices
*YOUR NOTES, NOT OURS*
- Bear is private at its core: We cannot see your notes, tags, or anything else
- **NEW** Encrypt individual notes with a password that is entirely private to you (Bear Pro required)
- **NEW** Lock Bear with Face/Touch ID (Bear Pro required)
- Export notes to portable formats like Plain Text, Markdown, and TextBundle
- With a Bear Pro subscription, your notes sync via iCloud, not our servers
- Backup and restore all notes with just a couple taps
*ENABLE ALL FEATURES WITH BEAR PRO*
One low, yearly subscription enables a variety of features on all your devices and keeps the Bear hugs coming.
- **NEW** Encrypt individual notes with a password that is entirely private to you
- **NEW** Lock Bear with Face/Touch ID
- Sync notes between your iPhone, iPad, and Mac via iCloud
- Advanced export to PDF, HTML, DOCX, JPG
- Over a dozen gorgeous app themes to help you create the best writing environment
- More themes are on the way
- Keep the Bear updates coming
$1.49 monthly, $14.99 annually (save 18%)
Price may vary by location. Subscriptions will be charged to your credit card through your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You will not be able to cancel the subscription once activated. After purchase, manage your subscriptions in App Store Account Settings. Any unused portion of a free trial period, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription.
$1.49 monthly, includes a one week free trial
$14.99 annually, includes a one month free trial
Terms of Service: http://www.bear-writer.com/terms/
NEW FEATURES FOR iOS 13 & iPadOS
* Dark Mode on iOS 13 and iPadOS. Bear will remember the themes you pick in Dark and Light modes.
* Work in Bear across multiple spaces in iPadOS. Open a note in Split View next to Safari, then work in a different note next Mail. Or open two different notes side-by-side!
* Annotate photos and PDFs. Circle objects in a photo or highlight important parts of a document. Also, When exporting a note to JPG or PDF, quickly annotate it before sharing to someone or another app.
* Encrypt individual notes - Set a password to protect a sensitive note, and use Face/Touch ID to unlock it
* Lock Bear - Require Face/Touch ID to access Bear
* Spotlight search comes to macOS - Search your Bear notes while working in other apps, even if Bear isn’t open
* Live Note Links - Links to Bear notes from other notes now update automatically, even if the note title changes
* Emoji auto-complete - Anywhere in a note, type a colon (:) and a couple of letters to see emoji suggestions (try :smile for example!)
* New Safari extension - Bear now uses Apple’s latest Safari extension system. On the Mac, Bear automatically adds its extension to Safari (no separate download required), you just need to enable it in Safari preferences. It should now ask for permission only once.
* Safari extension settings moved into Bear - You can now control extension behavior from Bear’s settings
* New TagCons - Many by popular request! 33 new tagcons!
* Improvements to Spotlight search on iOS - Results should be snappier
* More notes on Apple Watch - Now sync up to 15 notes to your Apple Watch
* New Flicktype keyboard for faster writing on Apple Watch
* Two new Bear Pro themes - Gandalf and Ayu Mirage
* Background database update on iOS now is more reliable
* Reading Time & Words Counter improved for asian scripts
* Better handling of the web page import from iOS extension
* Localized special searches (China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Russia)
* Now a lot more options are available inside a note through the "..." menu
* New Bear placeholders! Keep an eye out for our new Bears
* Header links in detached windows no longer open the main interface if the target is inside the note
* Sidebar and note list collapsing and expanding animation is now smoother
* /open-note API call now preserves the tag selection while selecting a note
* New Special searches - New special searches make it easier to search a tag, a tag without children, by typing #cooking or !#cooking into the search field. Search for notes now is also sorted per title and then per text in the body
* Web page importer was not importing certain types of images
* Better handling of database corruption and migration cases
* DOCX Export now handles the Form Feed character correctly
* DOCX problem which caused some paragraphs to be incorrectly labeled as heading 4
* Problem with Chinese inputting apps on Mac and markdown quotes has been solved
* Occasionally UI problems with conflicted notes is now resolved
* Localisation problems with the app name is now resolved
* Sometimes the app was closing the editor while editing when a tag was selected or the search was active
Ratings and Reviews
If I could give 10 stars, I would.
I’m a developer myself and find this to be one of the most polished and useful apps I’ve ever used. I’m blown away—especially considering that rivals like Evernote have had years and millions upon millions of dollars to do what they do, but their bloated and unreliable user experience makes apps like this a no-brainer.
Oh, and if you have a problem paying a measly $24/year to help fund developer support, go get a napkin from a fast food restaurant and use it instead.
Not worth the price
The app is pretty, but it doesn’t do anything that many other free note apps cannot do. If you use this app for over 5 years (which I’ve done for many of my most used apps), you will be paying $100, and counting. There is no other app that charges this, unless it’s Photoshop or MS Word, which are essential core software applications. No matter how pretty the app, if you don’t pay for the syncing feature (which isn’t worth it), then the app is completely useless. And it’s totally not worth the cost.
Clean, modern interface. Fast iCloud syncing. Cross-links, tag-based, easy markup. Oh my!
The proof, for me, is in what it has replaced. Apple Notes, OmniOutline, Storyist, Ulysses.
Haven’t enjoyed using an application so much since mTropolis.
- Shiny Frog Ltd.
- 20.9 MB
OS X 10.11 or later, 64-bit processor
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Shiny Frog Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Bear Pro $1.99
- Bear Pro $19.49
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.