Charles Proxy for iOS lets you capture and inspect network requests and responses on your iOS device. You can view metadata, headers and bodies in the app, so you can finally debug your app’s networking issues without a computer.
Charles Proxy for iOS is a new app from the creators of Charles Proxy for desktop.
HOW IT WORKS
Turn Charles on when you want to start capturing. Charles captures your network requests and responses in the background while you test your app or website. Return to Charles to inspect the requests and responses.
If you also have Charles on your desktop, you can transfer recorded sessions to your desktop to explore them on the big screen.
Charles creates a local VPN on your device. All of your network traffic passes through Charles on your device, and then out to the internet as usual over either WiFi or Mobile / Cellular data. There is no remote server involved, and your data always remains private to you.
* SSL Proxying to view SSL requests in plain text
* View and share request and responses bodies
* Syntax highlighting for text request and response bodies
* Measure network performance over WiFi or Mobile / Cellular networks
* Block requests to nominated hosts
* DNS spoofing
We've added a DNS Spoofing tool to this version of Charles. Now you can test websites before the DNS is updated, or substitute your production URL for your development one–all from your iOS device.
Ratings and Reviews
Simple and Usable.
Works great. Definitely useful for testing when proxying through a laptop isn’t a great option. Such as on drives.
Simple but clean UI.
Sort the recorded sessions chronically, please
Good App but there’s huge space to make it better. Please, consider the following feature requests:
- Sort chronically: It doesn’t make sense to sort the order of the recorded sessions alphabetically, please sort them chronologically, it’s easier to debug this way.
- Add an option to “block” host/protocol from the recordings, it’s easier this way.
- I understand the platform is not the same and more restricted but you still can add more tools similar to Charles Proxy on desktop/macOS
- Group recorded sessions by destination host, will be nice.
- Enable tagging for recorded sessions, will be nice.
Tedious to use
Please get a UX person to help with the flow. For instance, excluding a domain is tedious. I have to tap through a ton of screens and then all the way back out again! Also why can’t I just add an exclude from the list of requests Charles can see. I will change my review if the developer updates these issues.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.