CIRA Canadian Shield protects you from online threats such as malicious domains, phishing websites and helps to keep your personal data private. It also provides DNS privacy by keeping your DNS requests in Canada. This app works by changing your phone's DNS settings to run your requests through CIRA's Canadian server network.
Powerful threat blocking
We block over 100,000 new threats every day through our partnership with Akamai and their global threat feed.
CIRA Canadian Shield is located exclusively in Canada, which means faster response times and your data stays local whenever possible.
By Canadians for Canadians
We keep your DNS traffic private and inside Canada. We will never use or sell your personal data, unlike Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and large corporations.
Important notes and FAQs
• Please note that if you check the data or battery usage on your phone, it may appear as though this app is using a lot of data and battery. However, this app isn’t actually using all that data/battery. Reporting for the data/battery usage has been shifted from your other apps to this one, because your data now passes through this app. Actual battery usage will be minimal – on average less than 0.1%.
• The app automatically runs in the background and you will see it is running in the notifications center. The VPN Icon (VPN active) will be visible on the Status Bar while any of features are running. You will also see occasional notifications when status changes in the app and as you connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi.
• Reporting an issue with the application is performed by tapping the Menu (upper right corner of the app) and then tapping ‘Support.’ When reporting a problem, please be as specific as you can in the message.
• Please check the FAQs before submitting a Support request. FAQs can be found here: https://www.cira.ca/cybersecurity-services/canadian-shield/faq-public
CIRA is the Canadian non-profit that manages the .CA domain on behalf of all Canadians. We are building programs, products and services that leverage all the internet has to offer to help build a trusted online Canada.
We've made some performance improvements and addressed a few minor bugs.
Ratings and Reviews
Major battery drain with older phone
I know the FAQ insists that this app doesn’t use much battery and it only looks like that because other app use is routed through it. But after using it for about a week I don’t buy that at all.
In 2.5 hours this morning my phone has gone from fully charged to 23% battery with barely any use. It’s also getting really hot when I use it.
This app has noble aims and I want to use it, but it’s just not feasible with the current battery use.
I’m using a 2016 iPhone SE, so maybe it’s possible that this app would work better on a newer phone.
Technical issues ??
After I downloaded, purchased premium and installed, my upload and download speeds decreased by around 50%. Could not properly load some apps like Social Networks. VPN DSN settings configured on my modem. Can Shield continually defaulted to WiFi Bonding, using my cell data. Tried a variety of things to resolve. Unfortunately could not. Have not heard back from tech support. So turned off and unsubscribed.
Broken with iOS 15.4.1.
The application had to be deleted because it was causing the iPhone to rapidly switch between Wi-Fi and cellular, rendering the phone useless for mail and internet functionality.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Canadian Internet Registration Authority
- 54.9 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © Canadian Internet Registration Authority. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- CS Premium services $1.99