"It’s kind of like the Garage Band of coding." – Wired
"Codea for iPad is a super slick way to write and run programs on your iPad." – Gizmodo
Codea lets you create games and simulations — or just about any visual idea you have. Turn your thoughts into interactive creations that make use of iPad features like Multi-Touch and the accelerometer.
We think Codea is the most beautiful code editor you'll use, and it's easy. Codea is designed to let you touch your code. Want to change a color, or an image? Tapping will bring up visual editors that let you choose exactly what you want.
Codea is built on the Lua programming language. A simple, elegant language that doesn't rely too much on symbols — a perfect match for iPad.
Here's how you use it: type your code. Press play to watch it run. Interact with it. Get creative.
• A fully featured 2D and 3D renderer
• Lots of great example projects to learn from, including games
• Touch your code: tap colors, images and sounds to adjust them
• Export your finished projects to Xcode to produce real apps
• Complete in-line reference documentation accessible from keyboard
• Intelligent syntax highlighting and auto-completing code editor
• Import your own assets from Dropbox
• Full 2D and 3D physics engines for complex motion
• Add parameters so you can tweak variables at runtime
• Interact with accelerometer and multi-touch on your device
• Generate retro-game sound effects
• GLSL Shader Language support with live shader editor
• Bluetooth keyboard support and keyboard shortcuts
• Air Code: code live from your PC using WiFi
• Much, much more
• Join the forums at https://codea.io/talk to ask questions, share ideas and get help when you need it
• If you need help or wish to get in contact with us, please use the support link on this page
Codea runs on your iPhone too
We've spent the last year taking every piece of Codea and making it work beautifully in the palm of your hand
There's a brand new code editor that scales with your screen. All example projects have been touched up for iPhone. Everything from the Shader Lab to the color picker has had a makeover
Oh, we've also added support for the latest features in iOS:
- Automatic setting for your editor theme to follow the system theme
- Support for context menus and card style UI
(And there's a new icon)
Ratings and Reviews
Teaching coding and game development
I must say, I do like your app. It’s good, a definite 7/10 if this was out of 10. There are huge limitations that I see for it that need to be addressed before I would recommend this wholly for game development. I would just prefer to tell my audience to flesh out the big chunks of your game here first, and then export it to Xcode.
Things you need to start to include -
Importing sounds from iCloud Drive/Drop Box.
Importing models and object files - again from iCloud/Drop Box.
Exporting Craft scenes into Xcode is a must, please work on that.
Also, having delay commands. If you already have it and I just overlooked it, feel free to show me where they are and I will edit this comment out.
Your forums were a source of great information, and your reference section was also amazing.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your review!
The shortcomings you list are basically all the things we’re working on. We’d like to overhaul asset management and rebuild Xcode export. I’ll have something soon for Xcode export
For delaying have you looked at tween.delay? Is this what you mean?
Makes programming on iPad fun!
This is probably the most enjoyable programming experience I’ve ever had, best part is the OpenGL shader playground. Only thing missing is Bluetooth LE support. Worth the money!
Developer Response ,
Thank you! We're seriously expanding the shader playground aspect in our new app, while we continue to build Codea and make it the best it can be.
Rookie/wannabe programmer excited to learn. Already had fun playing with this app, now on to learning and making my first game. The examples alone are worth the cost. Very cool. Great idea too. Nice stuff team.
- Two Lives Left
- 112.2 MB
Requires iOS 11.4 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Catalan, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2018 Two Lives Left
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.