Download the most essential and comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPad– with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms. The app is designed and optimized for your device.
Easily search definitions and synonyms offline. You can access the offline dictionary anytime and anywhere - you do not need an internet connection. Voice search and audio pronunciation requires connection.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes:
- Word of the Day – learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary
- Audio pronunciations – never mispronounce another word
- Voice Searches – conveniently speak to search a word without having to spell it
- Content Collections Carousel includes Word Trends, Grammar Tips, , Slideshows, and Word of the Day
- Quiz widget - test your vocabulary skills (are you prepping for the SAT?) with our Word of the Day quizzes
- Favorite words and search history - customize your recently searched word list and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English Spelling help - not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you
- Local look-ups - take a look at the words searched by location
- Learner’s Dictionary - includes extra information about word usage for English learners
Get even more from your app with our Upgrades:
- Remove ads
- Example Sentences
- Idioms and Phrases
- Medical, Science, Rhyming Dictionaries
Voice. noun. Something you can now use when searching for the definition of a word.
Our push notifications just got a whole lot better too. Travel anywhere in the world and receive real-time notifications and alerts from Dictionary.com.
You may also notice our Word of the Day has had a makeover. Check out the polished new look!
Ratings and Reviews
The Best but also The Worst
In my opinion, this is likely the most useful Dictionary/Thesaurus app available on the App Store. But infuriatingly, the free offering has audible pop-ups which cannot be skipped. So jarring and classless. You really are better off foregoing this app by Dictionary.com, and instead looking up definitions or synonyms in a web browser.
Also still does not support the 2018 iPad Pro 11” resolution, nor split-screen functionality. Why would anyone ever consider an in-app purchase? The money clearly won’t be spent on development or improving the app.
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for your feedback. We currently display ads in the free version of the app but we limit them to one full page ad per user per day. If you find that disctracting you can purchase the paid version of the iPad app for $4.99 and that will remove ads and provide the rest of the add-on features available in the free app. Thanks again for your time, Dictionary.com Support
Needs Split screen
I only really need to look things up in split screen
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your feedback, and we will forward your suggestion to the app team for consideration in future updates, Dictionary.com Support
Please make this app split-screen compatible for the iPad, it would serve as much more accessible when typing essays.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Dictionary.com, LLC
- 199.6 MB
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2018 Dictionary.com, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences Upgrade $3.99
- Ad-Free Upgrade $3.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade $3.99
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade $2.79
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade $2.79
- Medical Dictionary Upgrade $3.99
- Power Pack Upgrade $6.99
- Expert English $6.99
- Science Dictionary Upgrade $3.99
- Idioms $3.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.