A comprehensive dictionary with 775,000 keywords, phrases and translations.
Do you talk to German or English friends in your spare time? Do you read or write in German or English in a wide range of subjects – privately or even professionally? Do you deal with German or English-speaking partners in your everyday working life?
About the contents:
• Both language directions (German-English and English-German)
• Current and comprehensive vocabulary containing around 315,000 keywords and phrases and more than 460,000 translations
• With context examples, information on language use and lots of information on grammar
• With American, Australian as well as Austrian and Swiss German vocabulary
• With info boxes for country and people, grammar. Typical mistakes and help with the wording of sentences
What can the app do?
• This application provides 100% offline functionality.
• NEW! Optimised multitasking on the iPad (iOS 10): Slide Over lets you use a second app without ever leaving the first app. Use Split View to open and use two apps simultaneously, allowing you to, for example, look something up in the dictionary while reading your emails or writing messages.
• NEW! 3D touch support: tap a keyword lightly on the iPhone and see a preview of the dictionary entry with Peek. Tap on the icon for the PONS dictionary app to open the menu with the main dictionary functions (Quick Actions) and navigate directly to the chosen function within the dictionary.
• NEW – for the visually impaired and the blind! Activate the VoiceOver screen reader function to have the selected function keys and dictionary entry elements read out aloud.
• Direct look-up: Simply select a text in Safari, tap the share button and choose a dictionary. All of the words in the text that can be looked-up are then displayed.
• Look-ups from other applications: Copy individual words or whole sentences to the Clipboard, switch back to the dictionary app and individually look up all the words.
• Learn vocabulary: You can define words that you would like to learn as a vocabulary card. This allows vocabulary to be learned quickly and effectively.
• Have fun learning basic vocabulary: five learning games are available – Memory, Word Combination, Word Snake, Alphabet Soup and Professional test – so that you can have fun while mastering the basic vocabulary.
• Listen to numerous keywords spoken by native speakers and practise your pronunciation: available for German, English, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian
• Use the full-text search to find examples.
PONS has been developing green materials for learning languages for life for over 30 years: from classic dictionaries and grammar aids to audio and software language courses right up to free online services.
© sborisov - Fotolia.com
• Optimised user-friendliness.
• Optimised multitasking on the iPad thanks to Slide Over and Split View (iOS 10).
• 3D touch support.
• With VoiceOver – for the visually impaired and the blind.
We look forward to your feedback: Send your questions and suggestions to email@example.com.
Ratings and Reviews
Very deep and flexible
Very deep and flexible. The English side of it includes extensive word form lists which the German side does not. It is therefore frustrating for English speakers trying to learn German, though still very useful. Major problem: the iPhone 3.1 upgrade has disabled the wonderful pronunciation feature! Please, can we have this back?
I've been using this app for 2 years now. It's been proven useful and versatile to me. Almost any word I can find with lots of common phrases. Nice that you can tap any word and it brings you to its main entry. Conjunction tables for English words available, too. But still only 4 stars. The design could be better (ugly PONS banner on a blue app frame) One thing that annoys me is that the iPod music stops once I open the dictionary. I have to manually restart my music again.
Pons German-English dictionary
Doesn't open in iOS8. Don't spend money on it at this point!
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.