GarageBand turns your iPad, and iPhone into a collection of Touch Instruments and a full-featured recording studio — so you can make music anywhere you go. And with Live Loops, it makes it easy for anyone to have fun creating music like a DJ. Use Multi-Touch gestures to play keyboards, guitars, and create beats that make you sound like a pro — even if you’ve never played a note before. Plug in a guitar or bass and play through classic amps and stompbox effects. Use a Touch Instrument, microphone, or a guitar and instantly record a performance with support for up of 32 tracks. Use the Sound Library to download additional free instruments, loops and sound packs created by some of the biggest producers in the world. And then share your song with friends and family.
Live Loops. Make music like a DJ
• Use Multi-Touch to tap and trigger a Live Loop cell or group of cells
• Get started with templates or build your own grid from scratch with Apple Loops
• Create custom loops by recording directly into a cell using any Touch Instrument
• Use Remix FX to perform DJ-style effects
• Tap record to capture your performance
Play your iPad, and iPhone, like a musical instrument
• Play a variety of musical instruments on the innovative Multi-Touch keyboard
• Play and record using the Alchemy Touch Instrument
• Build grooves inspired by classic electronic drum machines with the Beat Sequencer
• Download free instruments, loops and sound packs for GarageBand with the Sound Library
• Capture any sound and apply studio-class effects
• Recreate legendary guitar or bass rigs using virtual amps & stompboxes
• Record performances from third-party music apps directly into GarageBand using Audio Unit Extensions*
Drummer for iOS
• Add virtual session drummers to your song, who take direction and play realistic grooves
• Choose from acoustic, electronic drummers and percussionists**
• Each character provides their own sound and the ability to create over a million realistic grooves and fills
Sound like a virtuoso with Smart Instruments
• Play an entire string orchestra using Smart Strings
• Perform with Chord Strips and autoplay using any keyboard instrument
• Groove with a variety of Smart Basses using upright, electric, and synth sounds
• Strum chords or trigger autoplay patterns on an acoustic and electric Smart Guitar
Create a song anywhere you go
• Record, arrange and mix your song with up to 32 tracks using Touch Instruments, audio recordings, and loops***
• Record multiple times over any song section and choose your favorite using Multi-Take Recording
• Use professional mixing effects, including Visual EQ, Bitcrusher, and Overdrive
• Recording, mixing and exporting a song can be done at 24-bit audio resolution
• Trim and place musical regions exactly where you want them to play
• Automate the volume and record the movement of controls on Touch Instruments
• Add comments or lyric ideas to your song with an integrated notepad
Share your songs
• Keep your songs up to date across all devices using iCloud Drive
• Create custom ringtones and alerts for your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch
• Share your songs using email or Facebook, YouTube, and SoundCloud****
• Remotely add new tracks to your Logic Pro X project from your iPhone or iPad via iCloud
* Requires compatible third-party Audio Unit Extensions apps from the App Store.
** Requires free download from GarageBand Sound Library.
*** Multitrack recording requires a compatible third-party audio interface.
**** Sharing to Facebook and YouTube requires iMovie.
• Stability improvements and bug fixes
• Contains multiple enhancements to Accessibility
Ratings and Reviews
Strong points and suggestions for future updates.
I'd say Garageband is a very good DAW for being freeware for buying an Apple product. So I'll mention some good things first:
There are SO MANY choices with the new rollout of the Alchemy Piano Synth, I haven't even used them all yet! Not to mention the huge amount of sounds from the old piano.
It's very easy to make a bangin' beat! The UI is the best I've seen, very user friendly, anyone could make music on this app.
VERY USEFUL EQ AND EFFECTS.
EXTREMELY EASY TO SORT PROJECTS.
I LOVE THE PRESET VOCAL EFFECTS AND INSTRUMENT EFFECTS.
It's so hilarious because, compared to the other $200+ DAWs out there, Garageband can do pretty much the same amount and it's really really REALLY cheap.
You can make high quality music, which is why some music artists use it.
BUT... There's alot of things in the app that the user has to sort of "deal" with. Here are some I can remember off the top off of my head:
When doing live loops, I noticed the loops would freeze visually when looping, and it throws me off track everytime it does it (which is everytime I use the live loops.) It never did it before, and no, I am almost certain it is not because of me.
When copy-pasting onto a live loop edit, sometimes the thing you copy and paste disappears when you paste it to another section. I'm pretty sure this happens when you copy-paste actual audio in the edit if I'm not mistaken.
Some vocal effects need tweaking, the biggest example being the Vocal Transformer, because it breaks the audio of the vocal making it sound horrible.
You should make it easier to sample audio off of iCloud, because the list of the samples keeps expanding with the amounts of things I sample and it can get hard to find the certain audio bit I selected off of iCloud.
I also noticed when exporting a song to iCloud, the mix of the song gets messed around with; making some elements sound quieter and less "bangy" as they did in the mix on the iPad. This is extremely frustrating, as I have no idea how this happens, it should stay the same after exporting.
Sometimes, when playing a loop during a recording, a note from a synth or other instrument will sound extremely distorted throughout the length of the recording, so I have to totally restart the recording sometimes.
I have also noticed using apps like IM1 with Garageband give this "crackle" feedback when looping (I make all songs using the live loops which is a very useful tool) the sound from the Audio Unit. This happens alot when I try to use a virtual piano app with Garageband, so I always have to find a work around.
The velocity and quantization of built-in drums are always off and weird when recording, so I always have to turn the velocity up and reassign the quantization of the drums to how I wanted them.
Quite recently, some of my GarageBand files on my iPad got corrupted, some files were music I had worked on for days, and they can't be fixed.
And I also noticed when mixing a beat together, when you budge the volume of an element the slightest amount, it greatly increases the velocity and volume, this happens alot with sampled elements.
FX is useless, because it doesn't work at all; even when I playback the song from the start. It just doesn't work, and it's a shame because FX makes some songs very interesting.
There's so much more to be discussed, but I can only remember so much. Maybe I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for some of the things here, but I think these are some pretty strong points.
Great creative outlet
The songs you make take up some space. Other than that, the app is great - you don't need to read music, but an understanding of rhythm is helpful.
May I just say...
What’s wrong with it?
Thanks for reading... 100% RECOMMEND!!!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Canada, Inc.
- 1.7 GB
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2021 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.