“iA Writer creates a clean, simple and distraction-free writing environment for when you really need to focus on your words.” ***** The New York Times
“iA Writer is an example of how powerful simplicity and accessibility can be.” ***** The Guardian
“iA Writer is all about textual production—writing this phrase, this sentence, this word at this moment.” ***** WIRED
4 x Best of App Store Winner
# The Simple Writing App
iA Writer removes distractions. Giving you a calm, focused, writing space, so you can express yourself clearly.
Focus Mode dims everything but the current sentence or paragraph, helping you stay in the flow.
Don’t worry about the format. First, write in plain text. Then preview in HTML.
Search, sort, and quickly swap between documents from different clouds without leaving the window.
iA Writer includes an inverted light-on-dark-mode, perfect for working day and night.
Spot superfluous adjectives, weak verbs, repetitive nouns, false conjunctions and clean your text of the usual rumble.
Customize your templates and export to WordPress or Medium, HTML, Microsoft Word (.docx), or PDF.
# 100% Text
Embed links, pictures, tables and text files in plain text and see them in preview.
# Get in Touch
- Visit ia.net/writer for more information
- Visit ia.net/writer/support for support and feedback
- Let us know what you think on Twitter @iAWriter
This update fixes a few small bugs. It includes all the great features in iA Writer 5.4:
# Export Improvements
- Share, export, publish, print, and copy directly from context menu in Library
- Added Copy Markdown action (includes Content Blocks)
- Share any file to other apps
- Word export keeps headings on the same page as the following paragraph
# Other Improvements
- Fixed an issue where bullet lists were imported from Word as ordered lists
- Added icons for preferences panes
- Fixed an issue where key commands for window switching were not working with some keyboard layouts
- Fixed an issue where new windows caused existing partially offscreen windows to move
- Excluded node_modules from indexing
- Fixed an issue where some Smart Folders with multiple search rules did not work
- Improved internal link detection for automatic heading identifiers
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
The difference between enabling writing and ennobling it
Good design helps someone overcome their struggles. It is an act of compassion. iA is an org that specializes in communication, both technically and creatively. They deserve hearty props for building a tool that serves the mind of the writer, having taken years now to understand the challenges and frustrations common to the craft.
This app is just perfect for writing.
Will need a better selection for rendering/export.
The team is doing an excellent job, and keep the updates free.
Hard to describe ...
If you enjoy writing for its own sake, you may fall in love with this app. It is awfully close to the old feeling of writing on a typewriter (and I did a lot of that before personal computers came along, so I know what I’m talking about). And in fact, iA Writer even has a typewriter “focus” mode.
The guys at iA are design experts. Check out their site and blog(ia.net). The articles are interesting. These people are OBSESSED with typography and how it affects our work.
Consequently they designed a Markdown editor that is like nothing else. They give you a single wonderful font (that they custom designed) and greatly restrict all the other options. This is not Word. There is almost nothing to tinker with. Just get to work.
I also use Ulysses for bigger projects and to organize tons of notes. And FoldingText for outlining in Markdown. And recently Bear for other Markdown notes (yeah I love Markdown*). But when I need to write for work or pleasure, the text often starts in iA Writer.
*The whole point of MD is that you can do formatting on the fly—your hands rarely need to leave the keyboard. Just like on a typewriter. If you haven’t tried Markdown, download any of the free editors available and give it a try. It takes about three minutes to learn the basics.
- Information Architects GmbH
- 14.1 MB
OS X 10.11 or later, 64-bit processor
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2010–2020 Information Architects GmbH
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.